BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Ferocity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ferocity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 11:40pm

Just a quickie..

it,s not "kris" class it is "keris". you lead me up the garden path there for a while.. LOL

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2006 at 3:34pm

Hi guys

I am given to understand that the image below is of Ferocity and Sthal, the Vosper export to Germany, if that is correct, Which is which?

mike harrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:15am

Hi Robotski, Have just returned from a 2 week holiday, thus my delay in reply to your enquiry about Stral and Ferocity.  Firstly a little history about the 2 boats that I have. In 1960 Vosper received an order from the Federal German Navy for 2 Fast Patrol Boats. One a modified version of the Brave class, embodying an enclosed bridge and one a 92 foot version of Ferocity, but without the diesel crusing and manoevring engines. The photo you sent shows both craft > Stral is on the left [ie, the one with 3 gas turbine exhausts and Pfeil is the one on Stral's right. IE, the one with 2 gas turbine exhausts on the transom. These boats were later transfered to the Royal Hellenic Navy and renamed Aiolos and Astrapi.  My information source is from a Vosper publication that I obtained in the 1970's. I trust  it helps you in your identification of your accompining photo.

Regards , Mike Harrison.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:53pm

Thanks Mike

Yep that sorts them out, It would be nice to be able to get comprehensive drawings on each of the Vosper variations from this period and build an example of each for display, would look great.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 1:59pm

Hello Mike and Robotski

Both of those boats were eventually bought by the owner of Brave Challenger as a 'spares pool'. Strange but the actual fate of the original 'Ferocity' is still unknown. I have a copy of the sales brochure for 'Ferocity' which I could send if you put your e-address in a pm

Regards 

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:36pm

By the way PPUX

The 'Kedan' class is now avalible as a 1/24 scale semi kit with a comprehensive range of fittings from Fleetscale, it has been created from the original builders drawings to Fleetscales usual impecable standards, not the cheapest of kits, so I might have to wait a while before having a go at this one.

regards

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 2:53am

Hi Pioneer, Yes I would love to have a copy of the sales brochure of Ferocity. My email is    mikeandwendy@snap.net.nz

regards Mike.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 7:45am

Mike

I would have to echo the earlier post with the photograph of your Ferocity, top notch  

Is she in 1/24 scale, and were your fittings self made? we would all love to know more.

regards

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 11:24am

Hi Mike, When I first decided to build Ferocity I thought of building her to 1/16 of her origional size to match my 6 ft Brave Swordsman. Alas I made an error. Ferocity is 52 inches making her 1/19 approx. All the fittings are hand made except the shaped nav lights on both sides of the bridge and the 2 fairleads at the bow as well as the 2 fairleads on both sides of the deck at the transom and the chain fitted to the forward anchor. The Bridge is made of birch mm ply, bofors are built with 1/16th ply, white pine, dural barrel ,with bronze welding rod. torpedoes are machined  out of a broom handle. Staunchions are made from bronze welding rods. anchors are formed from brass sheet. the fire hydrants ,one at the port front of the bridge and the other 2 located forward of the co2 extinguishers next to the life buoys are made of brass [each hydrant is made up of 16 parts. The hull is double diagional planked with 1mm ply. deck is of 1/16th ply. The engine is currently a 22cc weed eater which delivers too much torque and I am soon to re engine her with a 10 cc model aircraft engine. The origional engine was a 22cc O & R [as per the photo of Ferocity running] this engine was rather unreliable and the more modern 2 stroke i put in delivered to much torque causing the hull to twist [roll] when running and didnot look very scale like. Any more queries I am happy to give

Regards , Mike Harrison

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 3:48pm

Hi Mike

Two things come to mind, one was to do with your ply, my local timber merchent only seems to stock 4mm or thicker, was this 1mm ply a special order or is it fairly common?

Where did the plans come from as they seem to have been very comprehensive? the only example of a Vosper boat I have seen is the original builders drawings that Fleetscale used for the 'Kedan' class, way more detail than you would need to build a scale version.

Regards

Mike.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic