BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Ferocity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ferocity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 11:50am

Hi Mike, Firstly the ply I used on Ferocity is actually 1.5 mm birch ply, I was able to get it here in NZ from a speciality wood supplier that dealt with these smaller sizes [very expensive and only available in sheets of 4 foot by 4 for foot. ] You might like to obtain it in the UK through microlight aircraft builders or some model boat shops.  The drawings for Ferocity. Firstly the hull lines. I got these from a book written by Uffa Fox called Seamanlike Sense in Power craft. This was published in the 1960's, and should be available in reference sections of major libraries [I hope so]. I had to enlargen these hull lines to the size I built the boat. The general arrangement drawings of the boat were obtained[purchased] from Vosper Thorneycroft.  The drawings that I received were of the military [navy] version of Ferocity. I then had to scale up the drawings 2.48 times to give me the 4foot 6inch model I built. Vospers very kindly sent me 3 large photos as well. I built Ferocity to the naval version, and after a mishap when the roof rack on my car plus 2 boats dislodged from my car at 50 mph. The resulting damage which wasn't too catastrophic, I decided with the repairs to bring the boat back to as she was built ,as in the photos that Vospers had given me. This is as she is now as per the photos that are  with bmpt. Vospers were very good to me and I cant thank them enough,and further dealings with them when I purchased Drawings of Brave Swordsman have been excellent. I approached Vospers through their public relations Section.  I hope I have been of some help to you.

Regards ,Mike Harrison.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 2:58pm

Thanks very much Mike

That has been very helpful, I am hopeing that Vosper are as helpful, as I have already aproached them for drawings of the Mexican Azteca class, some of which were built by Vosper.

regards

Mike.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 10:16am

Hi Mike

I have found a copy of the Uffa Fox book on the internet, looks like a gold mine of information on small power craft, so I have ordered a copy, I have Also found out that Glasgow Univerisity Archives hold copies of the Azteca Drawings, they are looking at how feasible it would be to cpy them for me.

Can you tell me the name of your contact at Vosper as I have not had any reply from them so far, I send my E-Mail to thier enquiries department, which may not be the best place for such things.

I also found a local timber merchant who stock 1.5mm birch, mahogony, teak and oak, way more expensive than the normal 4mm ply, but avalible in suprisingly large sheets.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 1:01pm

Another shot of Mike Harrisons lovely model of "Ferocity"

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 1:10pm

And another

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
mike harrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 11:10pm

Hi Robotski, Great to hear of your find of Uffa Fox's book.  I wrote to the Public relations Department of Vosper Thornycroft in Portsmouth, It was some 35 or so years ago now, for the drawings of Ferocity. I addressed my letter to the head of that department. I am sorry  that I don't have that person's name. I did in my request ,that I was prepared to meet all costs for the drawings and postage charges. They gave me the costs etc. I forwarded them British Postal Orders, and recieved the drawings soon afterward. Also pleased to hear that you have found a source of birch ply. It is lovely to work with.  When I built the hull , I double diagionalled the ply using approx 3/4 " strips of the ply which helps to give the hull its proper shape.  But remember that after fitting the first  diagional , . one should make a cardboard pattern of the next to be placed strip so to get a  proper butt joint with each placed diagional strip. I used a marine glue and used a staple gun to hold the strips in place. It is a bit of a long process, but you will find the end results most pleasing.

Hope these tips will help.

Regards ,
Mike Harrison.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 8:37am

Hi Mike

I find that taking your time to do these things not only produces better results, but usually is a lot less frustrating than trying to do everything in a tear *** manner.

Thanks for the tip with Vosper, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mike.

mike harrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2006 at 6:55am

Hi Robotski,, I have tracked down the drawing of Ferocity that I got from Vospers. Its Drawing no 18852/E. The drawing scale is 1/4 inch to the foot. Also the photos that I purched are Vosper photo numbers :- 181A, 268 and 273. Hope this will assist you. Please remember that I scaled up the drawing  2.48 times to give my the length of my model.

Regards

Mike Harrison.

robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2006 at 8:36am

Thanks Mike,

I think I would be aiming to scale up by a factor of 2, which should be 1/24 if I have calculated that correctly

triumphjon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triumphjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 11:27pm
i too have recently got an old veron kit of the keris / kris class of vessel , does anybody have any photos of the armement that was in use please , the model has been rebiult and refitted with modern brushless motors and a 5 channel 2.4ghz radio system !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic