BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Ferocity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ferocity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 11:56am
Hi Christian, Many thanks for the vidio clips of the Braves and Ferocity. Nice to see the boats in action.
Best wishes to you,
Mike Harrison.
medway508 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medway508 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 6:45am
Mike,

Thanks for that. I'm asuming that Admiralty Grey was the blue grey BS381C 697 called Light Admiralty Grey that the RN was painting their ships back then & the dark grey as BS381C 632 called Dark Admiralty Grey they used on the decks of Braves & flight decks of frigates.

The darker coloured hull scheme I'd guess as a dark blue but not Royal Blue (Admirals & Liz wouldn't have been impressed by the use of that colour)

regards,

Michael
medway508 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medway508 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 6:50am
Thanks Christian,

I love that 3 tone colour scheme she is wearing.

regards,

Michael
mike harrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 9:21am
Hi Medway508.    Thanks for the colour code numbers of the shades of Admiralty grey.
You mentioned that the Braves deck colour was dark Grey. According to a Royal Navy training colour film of HMS Brave Swordsman [ a copy  I have ] the colour is a light green,
colour specification number is not known to me.   I was lucky to visit KD Malaya [the Malayasian navy Base on Singapore Island] in 1977 and went on board Perkasa. Her deck was painted light green over a canvas material [an anti slip agent] that was glued to the deck. That visit was a most memorable for me . All the Malasian Perkasa Braves were berthed there and had been decomissioned and were up for sale. Asking price was around Malasian $ 300,000 for each craft.  I unable to find out if they were sold or what demise became of these boats.
Regards,
Mike Harrison.
medway508 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medway508 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 9:51am

Mike,

The details I got from Defence Standards were that decks were BS4800 14C39 (no names for 4800 colours) from the mid 1950s to 1968. It was a high gloss colour & very slippery when wet. I only found the grey coloured decks the other week when I came across a colour photo of them both in Wales in 1962 & they had grey decks. The YouTube video Christian aimed me at has overhead colour footage of them showing the grey decks.

The green is a medium green darker than Humbrol’s deck green. I have seen an RN painting instruction for Chatham Dockyard on a Leander where it says BS381C Mid Brunswick Green 226 could be used. Never knew until then that there were 3 shades of Brunswick Green!

If you are painting anything any decent paint shop should be able to mix up the standard colours & a mob called Phoenix Paints makes them in different sized cans for modellers. I believe they now also do them in spray cans to order.

I used to visit Malaysia a lot for work & heard one Perkasa had been retained for a museum but was never able to find it. I think a Danish Brave is in a museum somewhere.

Regards,

Michael

Just noticed you are in NZ, so no chance of getting spray cans mailed out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic