Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dog Boat MTB 683

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog Boat MTB 683
    Posted: 15 June 2006 at 10:24pm

The disintegration of MTB 683 inevitably continues - this shot was taken on the 15th June 2006 showing the further ravishes of time. Built as an MTB July 1943, transfered to RAF May 1945 - fitted out as Long Range Rescue Craft - LRRC 030. Destroyed by fire (after being converted to a Restaurant) Lying at Chatham UK

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 8:01am

Hello,

Did not know that the Chatham D had been converted to a resturant, well, would have been different, but perhaps it was thought it would not be viable, and someone left the chip pan on!

John Kempton 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 12:09pm

Hello John

The 'Restaurant' story came from talking to the Garage owner shown in the previous set of pictures (on page 1 of "Any Dog Boats Still Around" - Forum Topic started by member 'Jim'). Not quite sure of what changes to the interior were made but several major Bulkheads were left in situ so any seating arrangements would have been 'comfy' I would guess - maybe one of our readers may have had a meal on board?

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 6:43am

Hi,

Would it be worth stripping and leaving in a barn?

Don't think another D likely to show up & who knows, one day people may actually value these boats?

After all, the SS Great Britain was a total wreck 25yrs ago. look at it now

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 8:00am

Hi,

Just posted under Google earth re D etc, well, might be a few bits worth having need to go and have a look at low water sometime, on a more positive note, talked about trying to get shall we say, more whole vessels saved! perhaps along the Dunkirk little ships lines, although a number have been lost and are lying abandoned about, there are quite a number saved mostly in private hands, I mentioned the BMPT and the new centre at Poole, and I know they have tried to co-ordinate with others in the past. As ever, I should say that there is sterling work being done on vessels now, ie MTB 102, Medusa and MGB 81, 

John

3879keith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3879keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 11:49am
such a shame to see such a historic MTB left to rot the boat that John Provost "Polly" Perkins was awarded his second DSC on in 1944
ASR1255 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASR1255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 8:12pm
Some of it does live on I have both bow fairleads to be reused on my pinnacle when I eventually get that far lol
SAVE EM ALL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic