BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seabird Class RCT CCLs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seabird Class RCT CCLs
    Posted: 20 October 2006 at 9:00pm

Hello Forum

I'm after information about the six Nelson 40 Command and Control Launches (L01-L06): Petrel, Tern, Fulmar, Skua, Shearwater and Shelduck. Used in service from 1970-c.1985 by 18 Maritime Squadron, RCT a unit of 20 Maritime Regiment. The boats were manned by civilian crew and used for range safety duties around the (UK only??) coast. I've owned Petrel for three years. I am keen to see photo's of her in service or hear from anyone who crewed her, or her sisters.

Petrel was built 1969 and entered service 1970, she is still powered by 2x Cummins V8-185 Diesels. She was painted grey with black decks (I think) but is now painted white over blue, like most civilian Nelsons. 

With thanks in advance.

Dave
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 7:03pm

Hi Dave

Tern L02 was up for grabs on e-bay a month ago, she was for sale as seen without engines and requiring considerable work. Her owner had wanted to restore her but couldn't due to illness. His e-bay user ID is wil4050 you may be able to contact him to find out if she was sold, she was lying in a commercial yard on the Hamble. She was used as a workshop training boat at Marchwood from 1992 until SOC 2002 due to shaft problems. Two pictures above from e-bay, one in service and one recent.

Regards,Christian.   

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:05pm

Hello All,

Just seen posts on the above, very nice looking craft as you would expect from Nelson, have new one in the marina where I work, even stripped down, presume hull in good nick, Fibreglass? though of course they can have problems sometimes.

John

DMSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2006 at 3:39pm

Hi Christain & John

Many thanks for quick replies and photos of L02. I'll follow up the lead. Even w/o engines the hull and superstructure are worth having. Anyone wanting to restore will need 2x 180 hp or more to get her onto the plane. With fuel, water, and wife and kid's stuff they weigh 14 tons. These boats are very tough and seaworthy and clean up very well with a respray. I would attach photos but mine are are 100KB so won't upload to the forum.

Thanks again

Dave
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 1:03pm

Post-service photos of Petrel from Dave.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic