BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Dark Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italian Dark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 2:07pm

Hi Rik

Back at work now and have seen your picture, very many thanks-there's no doubting they are the same (I think the model maker has improved slightly on the real thing, looking from further forward as in your picture they look like UFOs!). I have to say I prefer the look of these boats with the original Admiralty MTB bridge, although they were never very handsome they at least have an air of authority with the original bridge, the Italians made them look like a private yacht.

Rgds,Christian.  

Edited by Christian - 20 December 2010 at 10:45am
marenostrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:48pm
Hello everyone.
I apologize if you resurrected this old post, but I am a soldier of the Guardia di Finanza, which is a military police economic / financial Repupplica Italian.
So I think it will be useful in providing news about the Dark Italian.

Dark

FEATURES:
Dark
Displacement: t. 57 LENGTH: m. 21.7 WIDTH: M 5.7 DIVE: m. 1,1
HULL: Mahogany ARMAMENT: 1 mtr. MK/10 20/70 ENGINES: 2 Diesel turbocharged 18-cylinder W CRM 18/DS from 1350 hp at 2000 rpm SPEED ': 28 knots RANGE: 500 mg CREW: 4 under / li + 8 UNIT Towns' "Calabrese" - "Lagan"- "The Thorn" - "Genna"- "lunges"- "Sanna" - "Urso"- "Vital"

In the mid-'60s, the need to deal urgently with the progressive aging of the fleet led the General Command, as he was looking for a good prototype of nation-building - to consider the offer of eight Dark class torpedo boats, built in 1956 by Vosper of Southampton for the Royal Navy, who had put in "mothballs" after a short period of use.

The units, refurbished and re-power the Baglietto yard in Varazze, were delivered to the Guardia di Finanza in 1969.

They were characterized by mixed construction of the hull: keel, frames and were covered in light alloy, while the planking was mahogany triple layer.

The "Lagan " was equipped with a pilot basis, of no Isotta Fraschini ID type 2 365512V, 1450 HP at 1800 rpm.

Crews will remember how the marine unit very sturdy, but not very fast. They were all struck off by the early 90s.
The last unit was decommissioned in 1995.
thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2010 at 7:06pm
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2010 at 8:56pm

The link now works (with patience) if you are able to read Italian - it appears to be an illustrated historical technical paper - around page 70 are some illustrations recognisable as being close to the Dark class.

Edited by Pioneer - 26 December 2010 at 9:02pm
Pioneer - Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 8:42pm
apologize if I was not able to post only the pages of the Dark, but I had to go away.
However, it might be interesting, considering that the Guardia di Finanza uses light fast shipping for over 50 years.
Thanks again for the space.
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 9:20pm
No apologies needed here 'marenostrum'Thumbs%20Up we are all very interested to hear of the Italian 'Dark' craft.
Pioneer - Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 5:23pm
.. a nice static model of Dark Italian, recently exposed to a modeling show in Messina (Sicily).

.... While this is the same today

New Year's greetings to all.

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:14am
Hi there,

Fantastic shots of these craft, many thanks and happy new year to you,

Johnk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 8:48pm
Hello everyone, even if this tread is older, I think it's worth it to answer the original question.
The Genna, not a Dark, but a ship that was seized by the Guardia di Finanza in 1983/84 while unloading cigarettes, in contrast to the Italian laws.
It was originally powered by three MTU engines from about 2000 Hp each.
Having regard to the validity of the medium, was incorporated in G.diF. after personnel of the same organization, in its shipyard Palerno, Sicily, do the work of adaptation.
After years of honorable service operating, ended his career as a unit addestrativa, meanwhile was rimotorizzata with three CRM 1050 Hp.
The only photo I found, it is in this PDF attachment regarding the sale of Genna and other units abandoned.
 http://www.gdf.gov.it/repository/contentmanagement/information/n1853200434/schede_natanti.pdf?download=1#page=9&zoom=auto,0,720

I greet you
, apologizing again for my bad English.

Edited by Pioneer - 26 April 2013 at 8:47am
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:22am
Thanks Vito, very interesting.

More photos of a model here;

http://www.altomareblu.com/modellismo-gdf-g62-calabrese/

Edited by Pioneer - 26 April 2013 at 8:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic