BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 653

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:18pm
Hi
 Thanks to Carol for putting the pic up, uou can see a bit more at low tide but not much!
IF anyone is really interested in a better look then please get in touch and we  can go for a 1/2  hour trip and have a better look, obviously threre would be no need to take any pumps!!!!
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
Whitelady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:25pm
i dunno you might just be able to pump it out... if you dam the river both sides of it :D
You don't own a boat, a boat owns you.
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 2:51am
Dunno folks? looks like the remains of a short admiralty bridge to me but dont know the size of the trees there so cant guess at the scale. Things were modified after hostilities so who knows? If she is a "Dog" then sunk in a pete bog or not, dont know if we can save that one
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 3:06am
Of course it could be a strange conversion of a "B". If thats her nose sticking out the profile fits better as Dogs where rather distinctive. Best way to find out would be low tide and a dozen cans of expanding foam. Lets hope theres one more D out there though! somebody find me a complete one in a creek please
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 2:00pm
jimmy p, judging by the number of previously unknown boats that have recently come to light I am sure somewhere there will still be a complete and hopefully floating "Dog" boat just waiting for you and johnk. Regards.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 4:33pm
Hi,

Oh if only! but you never know...

Johnk
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:45pm
Did any one find anything about the Dog Boats tranfered to Argintina?

Just a thought
 Wink

I have a small pic of a model of one used as a partol craft but nothing else.

Edited by Jim - 24 November 2008 at 6:46pm

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:50am
Hi,
I have had this reply regarding the 'Salhouse wreak'

Regarding the wreck at Salhouse, I was always lead to believe it was of WW1 vintage. I have recently been in touch with a chap from Salhouse who reckons she is a WW1 torpedo towing boat, was converted to a private yacht between the wars and was sunk during WW11 to prevent seaplanes landing. By the end of hostilities she was beyond economical repair and was towed to where she now lays to end her days. He says that allegedly when she sunk she had a grand piano on board.

has anyone got a picture of such a craft or info on types so we can compare what is left?
Thanks, Clive..
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 8:50pm
The first torpedoes were simply towed across the bows of the enemy vessel.It would ram the rope and drag the torpedo against its hull..Only refrence I can find is that they were 'small fast boats'.
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 9:04pm
When a lad I used to canoe on Salhouse Broad. That was in the 50s and the wreck you are talking about was there then. I don't think a D boat would have got into that state in such a short time. I was lead to believe it was WW1.

Richard.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic