BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nuoli class, finnish mtb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote two stroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nuoli class, finnish mtb
    Posted: 14 August 2007 at 11:51pm

i'm a newbie to this forum and would like to say hello, i'm facinated by mtbs with there sleek looks and speed, and this comes about by me seeing one moored up in exeter canal in devon, i believe it to be the one that has been discussed on this forum by d-zine 10th july 2006, bought in helsinki by a couple of guys from england. i believe it was given some attention for quite some time over there to make it seaworthy and was then blasted back to england under its own steam, being interested and wanting a closer look i walked down the canal bank where its moored on private property, i spoke to a works manager of the property and he showed me the boat and allowed me to look around the deck, it needs alot of tlc, but its all there except for the guns, i believe it will remain as its supposed to be, "original" it is having some more work done to the engines which i would reckon on being original as i was told it certainly drinks the diesel, i hope this helps.

mtb's rock
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 8:04am

Hello 'two stroke'

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the update on the 'Nuoli' class boat - now in the UK. It is always of great interest to hear news of other vessels - be they British or foreign - if you can manage an 'up-date', now and again, on any progress with any restoration of this vessel, it would be greatly received. Thanks again.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 11:03am
Hi two stroke,

I was down on the ship canal last week and took the following photographs.

Was this the boat advertised ashore last year for approx £20,000 on Apolloduck?

Edited by d-zine
Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 1:08pm

The Following information has been extracted from wikipedia at the following address

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_motor_gunboat_Nuoli_1

The Nuoli class motor gunboats (English: Arrow) was a series of thirteen fast attack craft (gun) of the Finnish Navy. The ships were constructed in 1961, and modernized in 1979. The ships were stricken from the navy lists in 1984, and sold on the private market.

There are two distinctive versions, 1-10 and 11-13. The former could be distinguished by having a higher superstructure. All were equipped with three Soviet V-12 engines (the same ones as used in the T-55 tank). There was no separate cruise engine, except from a small auxiliary engine that produced electricity. The vessels were first equipped with large screws, but later changed to smaller, albeit equally effective screws, manufactured by Finnscrew.

Finland were forbidden to have torpedo boats after WWII, but the Nuoli class could quickly be converted into such, if need arose.

The vessels are today spread all over Finland. Nuoli 8 is preserved at the Turku marine museum Forum Marinum.

[edit] Vessels of the class

Nuoli 1
Nuoli 2
Nuoli 3
Nuoli 4
Scrapped in 1979
Nuoli 5
Nuoli 6
Nuoli 7
Nuoli 8
On display at the Turku marine museum Forum Marinum
Nuoli 9
Scrapped in 1980
Nuoli 10
Nuoli 11
Nuoli 12
Was used as a taxi boat in Vaasa after its navy career.
Nuoli 13

Edited by Pioneer - 21 November 2012 at 8:40am
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 2:11pm
Hi two stroke,

Just to clarify she's currently moored at the water treatment works quay where the  sludge barge used to berth. This is located not far from the Motorway bridge, a very nice location.
I wonder what the rent is for this mooring?
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 2:21pm
Class Details

Nuoli class Fast attack craft

Class Overview
Type: Fast attack craft
Name: Nuoli
Number of ships: 13
General characteristics
Length: 22.0 m
Beam: 6.6 m
Draught: 1.5 m
Propulsion: 3× Model V-55 12-cylinder watercooled diesel; 390 kW (520 hp)
Speed: 45 knots (top speed)
15 knots (cruise speed)
Complement: 15
Armament: 1× 40 mm Bofors
1× 20 mm Madsen
Ships of the class
Nuoli 1, Nuoli 2, Nuoli 3, Nuoli 4, Nuoli 5, Nuoli 6, Nuoli 7, Nuoli 8, Nuoli 9, Nuoli 10, Nuoli 11, Nuoli 12, Nuoli 13

I am having trouble posting this item, it can be viewed correctly on wikipedia.

Edited by d-zine
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:44pm
Here are rest of the Photographs taken on the same day, starting at the bow and working aft in more detail.

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:45pm
And More

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:46pm
And more...............

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:47pm
Still more.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic