BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Coastal Forces
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proud Class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aDAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proud Class
    Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:38pm
I am really struggling to find any individual histories of these vessels.All official Royal Navy sites dont even mention them. Pictures seem hard to find as well, any leads??Cheers Adam
Adam
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 6:11pm

Hello Adam

What I do know about the Proud class is that they were refurbs of British Power Boat Co's craft. ex MTB's- 505 became 'Proud Fusilier', 506-'Proud Grenadier', 507-'Proud Guardsman', 508 'Proud Highlander', 509-'Proud Knight', 519-'Proud Lancer', 522-'Proud Legionary', 596-'Proud Patriot', 598-'Proud Patroller'. Those craft having a '1' added to their old numbers. 

Other BPCraft of similar series were converted to Radio Control boats, or 'Targets'. These were Ex MTB's- 457 became 8201.459*-8202,521 (ex1521)-8203, 488(ex1588)-8205.  No 'Targets' were ever 'Proud' conversions. *(not quite sure of the last digit, could be a '5')

As refurbished they had a displacement of 44 tons (52t full load) Dimensions-71ft9ins X 20ft8ins X 5ft9ins Draught. 2 x 18in T.Tubes.1 X 6 Pdr + 1Twin Oerlikon. 3 Packard Engines a complement of 17. All nine craft were laid up at Felixstow after the refurbishment.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:13pm

This is an image of a beautiful 3/4 inch to the ft, scratch built model of HMS Proud Legionary constructed by Mr Edward Childs. Mr Childs, an ex RN ERA who served in British Coastal Forces during the mid '50s, is an Uncle of Mr Paul Childs the owner of ex-HMS Gay Archer, the ongoing story of its refurbishment which can seen elsewhere on this site.

This image does not really capture the stunning lines of the BPB Hull, so faithfully captured on the model. It will be displayed at this years Model Engineering Exhibition.

Edited by Pioneer
E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 1:49pm

The model will be displayed next at the National Model Boat Exhibition at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on 11th-13th November 05.

This model was started in 1976 and at a scale of 3/4" -1 foot It had to be entirely scratch built. There is now a model similar on the market at 1/2"-1foot.

I have the only surviving photos of the original Boat P1522.

It would appear that around 13 of these boats suvived the war and not sold off at that time. 9 were converted to Proud class boats and laid up at Felixtowe. 4 converted to RC. target boats, and the remainder sold off.

I spent almost 2 years working on the RCBsFrom and others at HMS Hornet from 1954-1956

E.S. Childs ERA 4 (ICE)

E.S.Childs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2005 at 7:55pm
Is there anyboby reading who is not a member of the Coastal Forces Veterans Association wether General service or National Service up until 1957 if so your membership would be greatly apreciated as it is begining to get a bit thin on the ground.
E.S.Childs
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 12:38pm

This is an image of an ex-BPBoat hull still in use (Summer 2005) in Malta. Now named "Ambra", she has been identified as ex MTB 506-1506-HMS Proud Grenadier. She was originally bought by Wessex Power Units - later - Marine Turbo Craft who fitted 2 Gas Turbine units - sold on to Southern Television (UK) who renamed her "Southerner".

Source: courtesy of Phillip Simons

Photo: courtesy of Richard Hellyer

Edited by Pioneer
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 7:42pm

To anybody concerned. I would like to contact anybody that served on MTB 522 during the war as I would like to get some of the boats history. Also anybody that served on P1048 Gay Charger During her shoot with the Danish navy towards the latter end of 1956, as I returned to Hornet as passenger on her when she called to Aarhus and Cooksharven on that rather precarious journey back.

Hopefully Ted Childs.

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 9:14pm

P1048 and MTB 522 (post war)

Edited by Christian
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2006 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by aDAM aDAM wrote:

I am really struggling to find any individual histories of these vessels.All official Royal Navy sites dont even mention them. Pictures seem hard to find as well, any leads??Cheers Adam
rayw
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2006 at 7:47pm

Hi dam

In 1949 a number of Proud Class were stored in an old RAF seaplane hanger at Felixstowe. I b elieve one of them as converted for Southern TV and used to film power boat races in the Channel

rayw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic