BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > S-130
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S-130 restoration progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S-130 restoration progress
    Posted: 08 October 2007 at 6:04pm
I recently saw the podcast of the S-130 being towed to the UK from Germany for restoration in 2003.  As a designer of high-speed craft I would really like to know more about these boats and am interested to know if the boat is already restored and where it is now.  The pictures I saw show a completely different superstructure on the boat compared to the original.  Are there any other schnellbote around that are in original condition?

Best Regards

Gunther
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2007 at 7:41pm

Hello 'Gunther'

Welcome aboard. The story of S130 can be found elsewhere on this site but the 'pod cast' that you mention - of the Tow to the UK - was of the Hull. The superstructure, having been altered many times since his/her war time career, originally was of the armoured 'citadel' type, and what you saw was a dummy 'rendition'. Today the S130 is still awaiting funding for a planned restoration at Cremyll in Cornwall UK - the craft having being moved out of the Trust's care.

Although I have no photographic proof - I am told that an S-boote is out in the Med - a Forum member having seen it cruising around the Greek Islands - any further news would be most welcome.

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
marksaab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 10:19am

"Although I have no photographic proof - I am told that an S-boote is out in the Med - a Forum member having seen it cruising around the Greek Islands - any further news would be most welcome."

An S boat in the Med...crikey..someone better tell Geoffrey Searle!!

Just finished his book "At Sea Level" great read.

Those pod casts are good...the noise from one of the prop bearings during to tow was incredible!! 

I guess you have looked here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat

The link to "Prinz Eugen" is now dead, that site had lots of good S Boat info, there is definatly a complete boat in Germany, not sure where.

Edited by marksaab
Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 11:25pm

Hi all,

Further to the above also wondering if any news re S130? I know not now anything to do with the BMPT but just interested, also any news re CMTB 331? also now with EISCA, be great in my opinion to see both craft restored, one of ours and one of thiers so to speak!.

Johnk

wheelspanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 10:43am
What has happened with S130 as I understand Harry Wheatcroft has bought/been given?"him".
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 7:24pm
Hello,

First post on the "new" forum, just been reading the free All at Sea paper www.allatsea.co.uk  in the marina office and seen article on S130 saying some 3 million was going to be spent on her restoration over three years by Kevin Wheatcroft the owner! well, I know some may not like it, mentions her taking part shall we say in the Slapton Sands attack but... would be good to see say CMB 331 done which was handed over or....now for 3 million or perhaps less how about a replica D! I know, I know but how about that and the S130 running along! dare I say along with others, now that would be a site.

Johnk
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 7:56pm
There is some excellent news on the S130 - go to www.s130.co.uk
Very interesting.
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 8:30am
Hi there,

Indeed, just been onto the site, all very interesting stuff, quite a day to get her lifted out. As I said, I don't mind her being done but hope that it may inspire efforts to restore and run British vessels, excepting of course the ones already up and running MTB 102 and Medusa, 

Johnk 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:38pm
German vessels are He's not she's/ her john, I go along with your desire to see more  effort on British Coastal Forces vessels but if it is true as indicated in another part of the Forum that B.M.P.T. is no longer a Charity who is the legal owner of 1502?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 5:01pm
from reading elsewhere it appears to be an administration error in regards to BMPT charity status
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic