BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > E Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E/S- boat engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E/S- boat engine
    Posted: 06 November 2007 at 6:16pm
i was wondering if any educated members could run their eye over some pictures of an engine i have inherited. Everybody seems to believe it is an e boat engine but im also led to believe they had 4 cylinder mercs. The engine i have is clearly a v20 merc with a massive supercharger. Its magnesium and not aluminium and the fuel system appears to be bosch. at the bottom of the engine on either side it has little components that look like superchargers but are actually water pumps running along a rail similar to an injection rail taking water to every cylinder. Underneath there seems to be a water inlet and outlet, i can only assume they are for taking in sea water to cool the engine. I have loads of pics i would love to email to get more information. Ultimately i want to sell it but feel it would be a shame to scrap such a wonderful piece of history despite some pretty juicy offers from scrap dealers.
ww2 v2o supercharged mercedes S/E-boat engine for sale. boyhoy@hotmail.com.
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 7:27pm

Hello 'boyhoy'

Welcome aboard.

Not heard of a 4 cyl Merc in E-boats - but they may be for a generator. Here are badly 'cropped' Main Engines for about 80% of the various classes the first is an MB 502

The second is an MB 518 (only fitted to a very few late Mk's)

Does any match your's?

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
boyhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 8:53pm
oh thanks a million , the second is definately mine, looking thru some of the links on the side i found out that its probably an mb501 from a e boat. Its a massive big brut, I believe the pumped out about 2500hp and the later models about 3000
boyhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 9:17pm

On second thoughts it cant be a 501 then. I have lots of pics just having troulble compressing them to upload. But the exhausts etc on mine are the same as the mb 518, and the square box on top of the engine too.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 10:21am

This is a shot of an MB 501 - the engine that powered most of the E-boats. (note the Mercedes logo at the end) These were reckoned to develop 2500hp while the MB 518 developed 3000hp (powering the few 700 series S-Boats to 43+knts)

boyhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 10:39am
definately a mb518. do You think anybody would be interested in buying it, perhaps a museum or a restorer?
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 11:18am

Hello again 'boyhoy'

I'm sure that someone will appreciate having this monster - please just do not let it go for scrap!

boyhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 11:21am
yeah i know, it would be sin, going to be hard work finding someone that wants her. any ideas?
Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 4:05pm

Gentlemen,

Please can u email me your contact details, I will get the new owner of S130 to contact you re the engine.

Email to

pathfinder@safemariner.co.uk

Thanks

Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
boyhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 4:43pm
ok i emailed you my contacts had problems uploading pictures but will try again later
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic