BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Seaplane Tenders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ST440

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rikky.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 10:44pm
Hi.Thanks for the reply,I had it all reinstated a 18 months ago and it still seem good but i am being advised to take it off as it will act like a water trap that will make the wood rot quicker?which dont make much sense to me as the wood will still be in the water,Thanks for your advice,i think that i will leave it on.Rick.
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 4:31pm
Ricky
I guess a summary...
The copper in contact will slow any rot it is in contact with.
In salt water it will provide anti-fouling and work protection. The salt water seaping through will also not be good for fungus and can be a beneficial preservative.
the copper may cause corrosion of disimilar metals which are in contact or bonded to it, when in salt water.
If in fresh water then the copper will tend to act as a barrier to salt water coming in and when lifted out will tend to hold fresh water (rain water) in and slow the drying process.
The danger is retaining fresh water in the boat at a moderate level, where fungus has enough fresh water to grow, but can still breath. This is where retained rain and fresh water is most serious.
Copper napthanate was a solution which BPBCo painted on the hull timbers (at least on th earlier boats anyway) to soak in and provide a degree of protection, but will have long since washed out and become ineffective.
...therefore guard against the fresh water retention and then your worries should be reduced.
Good luck and enjoy her!
Andy

STEVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 2:25pm
HI YA

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU STILL OWNED ST440?? THIS BOAT BELONGED TO MY FATHER AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT IF YOU DO

REGARDS

STEVE (TEDDINGTON)
rikky.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rikky.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:15pm
Hi.Yes still own 440.its in nottingham if you are ever passing pop in and have a look.Though it might have changed a bit since you would last saw it?Thanks.Rick.
Caprella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caprella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:25pm
Hi Ricky, a different question - I was wondering how the copper sheathing went and also were you got the materials? I am looking at replacing the copper stripped from the hull of Caprella a 60ft Pinnace, as it appears to have kept the hull in very good condition over the years, but wanted to get the correct materials and fitting method as it has the potential to cause problems if not done correctly and advice on this is hard to get. Many thanks
burgundyben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:59pm
You should ask the question about copper sheathing on the classicboat magazine forum or woodenboat.  Perhaps log onto the motorboat forum at ybw.com and seek out Colin Scott, he's got a Silver with copper sheathing and will know everything on the subject.
Napier Lion engine wanted.
Caprella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caprella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 10:22pm

Thanks, just signed up to the Classic Boat forum yesterday, will give that a go and also try and contact Colin Scott, any first hand practical experience of the best methods and pitfalls will be a huge help, and bearing in mind the cost and time involved I don't want to get it wrong!

STEVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 8:28am
THANKS FOR THE REPLY RIKKY

CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE BOATS NAME WAS "PEMBROKE PUFFIN" WHEN YOU BOUGHT HER???

STEVE
rikky.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rikky.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 6:54pm
It sure was.
Patrick JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 9:58pm
Hi Rikky,

I just wanted to know whether you still owned 'Pembroke Puffin' ST440, and whether she had been re-fitted to it's former glory (if that was the intention?)

It would be great to see a recent photo of how she looks now.

My brother, Stevie, exchanged posts with you in 2011 to confirm whether it was the boat our father owned for a number of years from 1974. I believe that is indeed the case. I spent quite a bit of time on her through the years and, as I say, it would be good to see how she looks now.

Kind regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic