BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Pinnace Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1387
    Posted: 23 October 2008 at 7:47am
Hi there,

Was just thinking, rare I know, but was wondering what has become of 1387, she was of course slipped where HDML Medusa is being restored,

Johnk
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:01am
Had a long, long chat with the owner of what was once a beautiful pinnace. Phil reminded me of the days when she was 'flying' around the Solent with HSL 102.  Now look at her, still at Smith's Quay...looked at from the Spitfire Bridge side a hopeless mess...but looked at from the Quay the ugly duckling becomes a Swan.
Hundreds of articles are written about the loss of our Country's Treasures but little is done about it. Southampton as a town will not put a penny towards saving this craft, but they will lavish their funds on PLASTIC.
1387 is in desperate need of a Mentor:  someone who will have the fire power to bring this once proud craft back to life before it is too late.  I wish the owner Well!      john cook
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:38pm
There are owners too stuborn to help and if I lived in Southampton and my rates got used to bail out someones toy I would not be very happy. If you want to save a RAF pinnace the last one built, 1392, still in her service condition, is sitting in Newsons boatyard. I think the owner is in a mind to sell as soon as we have finished the small details from her major insurance repair. It is easy to get carried away by the hard luck stories. They should think hard before investing in a "money pit".
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 8:14am
Hi there,

Yes, "forgot" about 1392 as you say Richard, the last wooden launch built for the RAF, the owner wanting to sell, a few other craft in the same position of course, well, as ever can only hope she goes to someone with the cash and time to look after her, especially after all the great work to sort her out that you at Newsons has done, great new travel hoist by the way, makes left easier I am sure.

Johnk
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 10:46am
It is easy to speak ill of those who take on an Historic craft, those who have their dream shattered, those who have spent every penny they have and still hang on....
Most people who restore Treasures from the past are usually one man in a garage, sometimes (as in the case of ML117, a pile of junk becomes probably the best restoration in Brittain) but for most there is only the dream, and for the dreamer there is the critical rebuke.                                                                                                        john cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 1:24pm
Some of us are realists, correction, a few of us are realists and don't go doing things we can't afford. Then there are the dreamers, buy an old boat, restore it with a tin of paint and hey presto, you're a hero. Life aint that easy and I don't see why the world should bail out others' over-ambition. If you haven't got the back up plan or the required skills when you start, don't start! If you want to take this discussion further I will really upset people.
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:27pm
Sir, is the title Magic Fingers a soubriquet or a pseudonym?
I would find it difficult to discuss the owner of '1387' with someone I knew, how can I possibly do so with someone I do not.
Casting around the membership of this Forum I now see that almost all the Senators speak from the shadows.  The rest (from me, at any rate) is silence.   John Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:23pm
John, how long have you been asleep? If you click on Magic Fingers you will find that it is I, him of many titles including idiot.
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 2:06am
I can see both sides of that & understand. The warboat co may have failed in Malta but we had the right idea... if you got money & no time put in money, if you got no money then free some time & dig in if you got basic joinery skills & enough grasp of the laws of physics to understand boats. I bounced from that & made more mistakes just like Richard & alike i learned from them & never yoinked a boat from someone who had a better chance of saving a wreck.
All opinions aside... is 1387 still in the hands of her 2007 owner? He seemed a decent lad in a desperate situation. The old girl still being afloat must count for something, although long term maintenance would determine the state of her hull and as ever getting them slipped and checked has no substitute. Before anyone argues more or takes on more than they can swallow there.... Update us if you can on the old bird, sort pics. If she's going then slip her & check her before writing another cheque. Be wise in decisions whatever your budget!!!
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic