BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 245

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:24pm
Either way moving that boat would involve mega mega cost. Tens of thousands of £££s.

I suspect if you wanted to move that boat by sea the Southampton Port Authority would require some pretty extensive measures to be taken in order to prevent her sinking in the shipping channel.

The phots I took do not really convey very well how rotten the planking is,  I've 10 years of practical experience with my own much smaller wooden craft, I can tell you that boat is very poorly.

We have a broad cross section of MTB, HSL, HDML and MGB in public or charitable ownership that are well maintained and operated.  Let's focus on supporting those.

Let me tell you a story about an old MFV, Danish, Oak on Oak, about 80 ft, it had been moored on a mud berth as a houseboat for many years, unable to find a buyer the owners gave her away. Fella turned up with a tug, a diver looked over her and she was taken in tow.  Some petrol driven pumps were put on board that were thought to be of a reasonable size.  The planks were effectively caulked with mud, the putty had gone and the cotton rotted.  Moving for the first time in years washed the mud from her seams.  She sank. In the Western Solent.  Exactly on the path of the Lymington to Yarmouth Ferry. The week before the Round the Island Race.  Trinity House laid two cardinal marks. Later she was wire dragged to destruction.

Napier Lion engine wanted.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:36pm
Yes, I quite agree we should support these fine vessels, but always carefully consider any more, we have lost so much and with relatively little left, so easy to lose things, but of course hard work to keep. Just had a Dunkirk little ship into the marina at Chatham, the Duchess ex Shoreham lifeboat, going to small gains at Canvey for work before 70th anniversary run this year, great to see.

Johnk
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:38pm
sorry correction to my last it is Dowager

Johnk
Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:40pm
Gentlemen,
The only practical way to work on this boat is to have her lifted out in the yard where she is presently lying.
Build a plastic cover over her.
I have my doubts that she can be successfully lifted, without damage.
Then you will need £250,000.00 in the bank to start the work,,etc etc

Still interested..we can approach the yard..?
Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 5:02pm
Indeed, lifting could be very difficult, travel hoist and multi-stropped at least, and then as you say a chunk of cash, for skills, materials and equipment, has been done of course but for a few for that reason, small change if you are the Cutty Sark but there it is, many thanks,

Johnk
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:36pm
Richard,
I think £250,000 is very light but you have the right idea.

Richard.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:06pm
Have a look at the boats for sale..a new boat at a good price..
Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:29pm
That is certainly the easy way out. All the boxes ticked and ready to rock and roll. It'll cost that much to move 245!

Richard.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:07am
Hi there,

Yes, can quite see and understand and I certainly don't have the cash to hand, just that we did look at trying to save her last year, yes the transport issue did not help, and I could only pledge my small bit along with others, and again I do not forget for one moment what we have and what great work is being done for MTB 102, HDML Medusa, just it seems so much else of our maritime heritage is biting the dust, with some vessels having buckets of cash poured over them, whilst others like 245 just rot, any way,

Johnk
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 1:16am
Sorry i'v been away for a while folks. A few serious questions about this old girl...

1. How much could she be aquired for?
2. How much to keep her there for a while?
3. Will she stay afloat while cash is freed up & all the other gubbins?
4. How many linear metres(dammit i still work in feet & inches) of timber, number of screws, roves ect will she need to stabilise her?
5. How many hours would it take for me & my 2 apprentices to do all of the above? The longview would be full restoration but talking about the initial hit of stopping the rot!

I have access to a few well seasoned oak trees for keel ect but obviously dont know any farmers with mahogany up for grabs. I have the joinery skills & finally getting the money to make a big push on one of these old boats in my own imitable way. My apprentices are as passionate as me with old boats so i have to sort digs, food & beer. Somebody give me some serious figures without the £45 an hour shipwrights charge. Got a clear few days in about 3 weeks if anyone can get me figures & a good look at her
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic