BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 245

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 2:14pm
Appreciate not much time since last but any news on the 245?

Johnk
burgundyben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 5:28pm
I had a wander past 245 today while looking for another boat, I took a few pics.

My opinion is that she is as rotten as a pear, at least the hull planking is. She wont be going anywhere by sea, the chap repairing the gate to the boatyard thought she had been abandoned.

Its not all bad, we've got MTB102, HSL102 and MGB81 all in fine form.

Napier Lion engine wanted.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 11:21pm
Hi there,

What a great pity, great effort to look at saving her at the beggining of last year,problem was as we can see from the start of the thread, trying to get her away by road....quite agree unless on a pontoon not going on her own hull.... I would guess even if you could lift her, might be tricky as we know from previous vessels. But quite agree, we do have MTB 102 and soon HDML Medusa plus HSL and MGB 81, hope to see these underway at some stage soon. Post in other places of people perhaps looking to take on projects, always a lot of caveats but at least if people try some will suceed.

Johnk
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:57pm
An amazing boat with a real history....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/2621121/Commander-Douglas-Hunt.html

Edited by Pioneer - 27 January 2010 at 8:55am
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:48am
Hi there,

Yes, quite right, just read the piece again, although of course it is the man or men that matter, second is the craft, appreciate attempt last year and she dose appear the worse for ware, weather really in a year it has changed that much don't know, it was a before this issue of transport with plan to get to Newsons of course, weather anything more local I don't know, of course great work at Hythe but Medusa still on the slip and I believe due to shut down post the project, I know, saying what a lot do, what a pity......

Johnk
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:37pm
Just a few questions that may have bearing on anyone moving a big boat.  I'd apprexciate any informed info  just in case we ruin into this again....

1).   Reading the blurb on the Highways agency,

The maximum permitted limits for STGO operations are 6.1m width, 30m length and 150,00kg weight. Outside these limits requires a Vehicle Special Order is required. Approval is not automatic and is at the discretion of the Highways Agency. Use form BE16.

So moving a load wider than 6.1  meters is possible....  with permission  from the Highways agency of course. Max Length is 30m and the height is no real problem.

2). Would it possible to remove her superstructure and stand a boat on her side. - subject to a suitable cradle & bracing?  It might/would get around the Width issue.

Is this correct?

Cheers

Don

David Earle-Pay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Earle-Pay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:09pm
Don Hi,
The issues raised regarding the potential move of 245 last year was that over the 6.1m width, exceptional permission is only granted to / or from the nearest port. So as the originating departure point is a port, and the destination is also a port, road transport permission would not be granted. Height restrictions do apply as for any road transport (16 feet I think)

Regards,

David
David Earle-Payne
Make it idiot proof, and then someone will make a better idiot!
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:51am
Hi David,

Thanks for the update.    I looked up the the 1941 Vospers ( MTB's 222-245) and it seems that  they were likely to be 71ft 1/2 in x 19ft 7in

I've looked at all the early Vospers and none are over the 6.1 meter  (20.01ft) width rule.

So under the 6.1 meter rule and "For loads of widths of 5.0 to 6.1m operators need to complete form VR1."  No Vehicle Special Order is required.

I'm sure I've missing something here....  I normally do.

Regards
Don

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 7:57am
Head spinning a bit with all these numbers! presume the vessel was measured back in 2009, can see what the agency is saying, not wanting to block the roads, but as before, she could not be towed on her own hull, but any way, unless "we" are going to have another go....still could be of interst as you say for another vessel.

Johnk
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 1:24pm
We went down this "road" in depth last time.
The only way to move that boat is by sea and that would be very expensive.
To move by road if permission were granted, would involve removal and
replacement of road "furniture" which would ratchet up the price no end.
It is debateable as to the hull withstanding such a trip. Mega bucks involved
however you do it unless you have someone around Southampton water to
do the job.
Richard.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic