BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Trust
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future of BMPT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future of BMPT
    Posted: 04 April 2009 at 7:56pm
Hello all,

Received today the proposal to merge with Portsmouth, well, I will be certainly supporting this move, with small regret I am sure shared, that the BMPT must dissolve, and that Southampton dose not wish it appears, to celebrate its maritime heritage, OK Portsmouth is well known and dose some great work, but it is not the only maritime centre in our country. Presume thus the idea of the dock at Southampton is off? in these times can understand, and we can not just hang around indefinitly.  Note they are looking to buy the MGB 81 (albeit called MTB in the letter, we can educate people perhaps on designations!!) and HLS 102.  Hopefull the web-site and forum can continue, of course it will take the infamous somone to do it I know, but seems a great resource and source of interest and contacts. Any way, trust not to long, just wanted to make my thoughts know, if of any interest! all the best

Johnk
richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 10:15pm
Hi John,
The posting was aimed at the BMPT membership, and nothing is firm until after the EGM on May3rd please.

Many thanks
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 10:55pm
Hi Richard,

OK, sorry about that, I see a bit ahead of the gun, of course it needs to pass at the EGM, no intention of causing a problem.

Johnk
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 3:49am
If it means the bmpt survives and doesnt become a councillors pet project for a year then fairplay. Husbands yard is long gone and i've only known the BMPT as priceless for contacts. Adapt or die is unfortunately the current national mantra for businesses & charities alike. With your previous record i'm sure you chaps will find the right way forward!!
  Sure i speak for everyone on this forum by hoping that a new home is found & you can get back to what you do best...Saving old warboats
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:20am
Good morning John and Jimmy,
Thanks your comments.
I will hopefully be able to reveal all shortly.

Richard
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 11:49am

Richard has asked that this letter be posted

A new home for our boats and artefacts.            

Dear Member,

At the last AGM, the Board gave you a full description of the situation in which the Trust finds itself.

We advised you, that there was an urgent need to find a good home, where the boats and our artefacts could be safely kept.

You in turn authorised us to proceed with this search.

Should we fail in this aim, the Trust would have to close down and sell all we have worked for, to cover the costs of grant repayments to the HLF and so on.

At the same time, we needed to find a situation where all the work that has been put into the boats, could be well displayed and hopefully continued long into the future.

The options, which we advised you we were investigating, are as follows.

1.        The Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust. (Portsmouth Historic Dockyard)

2.      The Coastal Motorboat Heritage Trust.

3.       The Medusa Trust.

4.      The MTB102 Trust.

5.       The Bucklers Hard Maritime Museum.

6.       The Coastal Forces Heritage Trust.

7.       The Classic Motorboat Association.

We have been working with all of the above, and the option which has been able to offer us all of the things that we need, is the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust.

After meetings with the PNBPT, we have been offered a home for all our boats and artefacts, as well as an opportunity for all our Members to continue working as Volunteers, on either our boats, or those belonging to the PNBPT. The opportunity exists for Members to join the PNBPT Volunteer Group.

We are working toward an agreement to merge with the PNBPT.

As this merger will mean that BMPT will be dissolved, we are hopefully negotiating a free period of membership of the Friends of the Royal Naval Museum and HMS Victory in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, for all our current Members.

We are enclosing a copy of the 1986/2006 brochure of the PNBPT, for you to study.

Also included herewith is a letter of welcome from the Chief Executive of the PNBPT, Mr Peter Goodship.

The Board have accepted the proposed merger, as being the only sensible way ahead for the BMPTrust. The purpose of this letter is to ask for your approval to proceed. This will allow all the Membership to take part in this important decision making process, as only a small number of our Membership will attend the EGM, called overleaf.

We ask that you return the enclosed slip to us, at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

No response will be taken to be your approval of our special resolution.

We, your Board, commend this merger to you.

Peter Baillie. (Chair)   Terry Ford.    David Ross.    Tony Alston    Richard Hellyer

Edited by Pioneer - 05 April 2009 at 11:49am
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 12:20pm

This is a copy of the document to the BMPT

Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust

19 College Road

HM Naval Base

Portsmouth PO1 3LJ

30 March 2009

To: Members of BMPT Ltd

By way of introduction, l have pleasure in enclosing a copy of the Trust’s 20-year review outlining the principal activities within which we have been engaged since the Trust was established in 1985.

You will note that our primary function is the development and long-term preservation of historic buildings associated with HM Naval Base Portsmouth.

We also manage three of the visitor attractions within the Historic Dockyard - the Dockyard Apprentice Exhibition, Action Stations and Harbour Tours.

We have also amassed what is now regarded as one of the largest collections of small naval craft, which we display on the Mast Pond, within Boathouse 4 and alongside our landing jetty adjacent to the Boathouse. The collection is maintained by a team of volunteers under the general guidance of the Trusts Historian and Boatkeeper, Mr Brian Patterson. Brian was a former dockyard shipwright and is widely published on the history of the Yard. We have extended the Trust’s collection recently by the addition of "Osborne", a steam picket boat from the former Royal Yacht owned by English Heritage.

ln close consultation with National Historic Ships we are formulating a bid to acquire MTB 81 and HSL 102.

We are enthusiastic about the prospect of BMPT Ltd merging with us for two reasons; firstly, we believe that the three boats presently within your care would enrich the collection and, secondly, we would be delighted to welcome your support in actively assisting with the ongoing preservation and operation of the wider collection.

Our plan would be to display the BMPT Ltd boats on the Mast Pond during the summer months where they will be admired by the 600,000 to 700,000 who presently visit the Historic Dockyard.

We would also hope that they could take part in events within the Historic Dockyard, as well as continuing to attend the events they have in the past. lf you do agree to the proposed merger, I can guarantee a very warm welcome to you and your fellow members.

Peter Goodship

Chief Executive

Directors: RT Bishop, R P Ching.

Mrs T Hall, E D B Jones, P Marriot.

Rear Admaral Neil Rankinn CB CBE.

T; L Roberton, H R Siegle (Charrman),

Sir Colin Stansfield Smith CBE

Chief Executive: Peter Goodship

Edited by Pioneer - 05 April 2009 at 12:20pm
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 12:27pm
As you can see from the last 2 posts the BMPTrust may have found a new home. The Board have decided that as some of the information is in the public domain, it is in the best interests of all, that the whole story be available.
We apologise to any BMPT Members who have not yet received their posting.
Please bear in mind that the merger must be approved by the BMPT Memnbership, and the postal votes called for will be used at the EGM on 3rd May, to define the way ahead.
This is a very exciting developement for us, and your comments would be appreciated.

Richard Hellyer
Secretary
BMPT
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 9:36pm
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your post, again, my apologies if I put my foot in it so to speak,

Johnk
richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 7:26am
Good morning John,
No problem, maybe a good thing we have it out in the open...dont forget to post in your response for me..!!

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic