BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTTL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2772e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RTTL
    Posted: 14 May 2005 at 7:57am

I have an intersest in the RTTL 68 ft boats, as displayed at Henden. I have built the original Vosper Veron model, then a 1/24 scratch built, now a 1/12 scratch built. I need pictures of the deck and fittings.

Can anyone help, does anyone now if there is one other than Henden that can be viewed?

Any stories or pictures or notes would be appreciated

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 9:04am

RTTL2753 Vosper 68' MkII lying Gibraltar,mostly as was when paid off.

Awaiting engines,bare interior.Name Flywood.See M/Boats Mag Jul 05 P13.

2772e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2772e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 6:47pm

Christian,

Did not get the jist of your email can you contact me about it. Any help would be great. I am aware of Fleetwood. Is she for sale do you know?

simon.beament@btinternet.com

Regards

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 10:30pm

Interesting photos of RTTL 2756 at this address.

http://www.gan.philliptsmall.me.uk/NickFord75/Drills%20on%20 2756.htm

Cheers

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
DMSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:26pm

Just visited RAF Museum Hendon this 1/2 term and pleasantly surprised to find proper boats out front!! (Actually couldn't belive what I saw and nearly flattened the parking attendant.) One is 2757 68' Air Sea Rescue Launch the other a 64' ?? (not sure as kids dragged me off to look at jets and bombers!!). They are both cracking looking boats, what was the shorter boat? Is there any info on the website or elsewhere about them?

Was surprised to see that RAF Museum doesn't mention them in the guide or show them properly on their website. Has anyone any idea how many other land-locked exhibits there are?

They looked in pretty good condition, I wonder when they were last at sea?

If anyone can point me in the right direction it will save me having to go back and read the plaques again.

Thanks

Dave
2772e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2772e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:42pm

DMSmith,

2757 last saw the water in 1977, it was covered by a comemerative postcard with pictures and the story of how she got there.

If you want one they are readilly available on ebay, just set up a favorite search on rttl or 2757 and they keep popping up.

Unfortunately there is no information on 2757 in any of the museums data, i had tried when i was researching. The only mention goes back a few years on the repainting. She is in a sorry state. I had lots of correspondance with them and they sent me copies of the original handbook with pictures etc.

I ended up visiting Grenwich and viewing/copying the original blueprints.

If you want info i have spent the last 5 years collecting everthing i can on th seies 2 RTTL.

Hope this helps

Regards

Simon

Has the gantry been erected so you can wander top side?

DMSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 10:08pm

Hi Simon

There are some steps at the back of one of the boats, I'll remember which one when the pictures are developed. Not sure that the health and safety police would allow run of the mill visitors to wander round it though.

Sorry to hear that it actually isn't that good after all. Did you get a royal tour all round to get info for your model?

Thanks for the offer of info but time for modelling is limited to the annual Chrismas visit to the outlaws (when I best lock myself away with and Airfix MTB to save arguements, etc.) otherwise I'm engaged fixing my RCT Range Safety boat. Do you kow of any books or something more on the web about RAF boats?

Thanks for your kind response

Dave

ps  Was interested on your success with Grenwich, I'm trying to get more info on my boat and don't seem to have much luck. See Seabird Class RCT CCLs posted Oct last year.

Dave
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 10:54pm

Hi Dave

This is the plaque;

The displayed speeds conversion from knots is way off, 39 knots is more like 72 km/h or 45 mph. In truth they were capable of more like 50 knots under ideal conditions.

And the boats (the 1374 boat is a 63ft Groves & Guttridge design General Service Pinnace); 

Pictures of a sister Pinnace can be seen on the Boats For sale page;

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/boats%20for%20sale/Pinnace1387/index. htm

Edited by Christian
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 8:51am

Christian,

50knts?

The ideal conditions must mean down a very steep hill

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 8:59am

Hi Ted

It surprised me a little too. The information has come from the mouth of more than one horse though, both served on these boats in their heyday and had a clear memory of this. They'd pull out the stops just after painting with new antifoul, and open them up all the way on flat water without much fuel in the tanks. Apparently it didn't do their career prospects much good if it was found out though!

2762E was apparently even quicker.

Rgds, Christian.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic