BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ex RTTL 2770

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ex RTTL 2770
    Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:04pm
Ex RTTL 2770.

USDV Canadian Osprey on C.C diving support duties with the US Navy 1989. ( United States flagged out of Norfolk Virginia.)

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 5:14pm
Many thanks for this, clearly an ex RTTL launch still from the bridge,

Johnk
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:27pm
Hang on thats taken off Dunoon (Holy Loch on the Clyde)....i would know that hill behind anywhere....

I never knew Osprey served in the US navy...cheers new info on the old girl, anyone an idea where she is now, not been to Clydebank of late so dont know if she has moved?

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 10:11am
Correct. That is in the Holy loch.

I said she was working with the US Navy not serving in. AS-31 and AS-33 was her designated duty ships under a Baltic Exchange contract.

As I have also said, she was US flagged out of Norfolk,VA ( flew the "Stars and Bars") at that time. This also allowed her to be used by the USN for re-enlistment venues, which was done.
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 12:24pm
I have now been informed that there may be some confusion over the actual ownership of ex- RTTL 2770 during and from her refit for diving support, and then up until her sale. This is probably due to "local knowledge" attempting to fill gaps in information they were not entitled nor in any way privy to.

To avoid any further confusion :- USDV Canadian Osprey (ex RTTL 2770) was in fact owned by CMS (Canada) Ltd of Vancouver, Canada who held all of her 64 disposable maritime shares. However, in European waters she was operated by Osprey Charter services who were a UK subsidiary of CMS (Canada) Ltd.

Another part of her history at that time :- She was the only Boat/US offshore rated rescue-towboat operating in European waters. She also held a UK Category 2 commercial ticket.

If anyone wishes further accurate history please ask. 
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 7:16pm
just p[icked up on this.  2770 was bought by Capt. Donald MacFarlane 1985/86 and he renamed her CANADIAN OSPREY as he had joint nationality (British and Canadian) He sold her to Robert Crawford in 1989, and in  December 1997 she passed to Derek Aspey. She was sold again in 2009 but am u8nsure of her current owner.

Regards
RAF MARINE CRAFT HISTORIAN
FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 8:43pm
my discerning eye spots a change of mast, a lengthened superstructure and, I guess the H&S Police have been at work... guard rails!!!

Ill bet theyve got rid of the Taylors parafin stove in the galley as well Big%20smile
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by rafwebfoot rafwebfoot wrote:

just p[icked up on this.  2770 was bought by Capt. Donald MacFarlane 1985/86 and he renamed her CANADIAN OSPREY as he had joint nationality (British and Canadian) He sold her to Robert Crawford in 1989, and in  December 1997 she passed to Derek Aspey. She was sold again in 2009 but am u8nsure of her current owner.

Regards

Unfortunately wrong. I am the person with dual nationality and my name is certainly not D. McFarlane. Also, my name is not Robert Crawford either thank you. She was sold to Derek Aspey in 97, that part is accurate.
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by barnacle barnacle wrote:

my discerning eye spots a change of mast, a lengthened superstructure and, I guess the H&S Police have been at work... guard rails!!!

Ill bet theyve got rid of the Taylors parafin stove in the galley as well Big%20smile

Your eye does not deceive you. The mast alteration, safety rails and removal of the pressurized paraffin stove was a requirement for her new duties.

However, the smiths heating system was retained. We ran that on Jet "A". It  burned hotter than hell that fuel but was readily available to us at the time.

The extended wheelhouse was for diver comfort, it contained tables and seating capacity.
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by rafwebfoot rafwebfoot wrote:

Regards

P.S In  considering that it was my family's Canadian Corporation who purchased and paid for the re-fitting of ex- 2770.. Canadian Osprey. I would thank you for no lectures whatsoever regarding her ownership and activities during the period she was in our charge.

It is however understandable, as I have previously said, local "Worthy's" fill in information to enhance their very limited knowledge. The facts are as I have stated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic