BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Exercise Tiger
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Search those who served and survived

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dviv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Search those who served and survived
    Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:28am
HI, I am the offspring of an Exercise Tiger Sailor who survived.  His name:  "Sid" (Sidney) Viverette.  If anyone recalls serving with him please post.    He has passed away and spoke only recently and briefly about his "lifelong" secret of misery (Exercise tiger). From what I could understand he was a gunner.  My heart goes out to the families who lost their sons, husbands, brothers and uncles and it also goes out to those who had to endure the memory-alone.
Dvive
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2005 at 10:34am

Hello Dvive,

Your poignant 'posting' touched me. I would have been privileged to have known "Sid" but unfortunately I never had the pleasure. I find it unbelievable that so few British adults, and of course British school children, are unaware of this episode of World War 2. In fact I was unaware of any real detail myself until I happened to read Ken Small's book. This led me to read further literature, Lewis, Collins etc and also to delve into British archive material. I visited the site of the tragedy earlier this year and a real sense of the "history" came to me when, at Mashfords Yard, I actually stood by S130, one of the German e-boats involved and of course Ken Small's tank in Torcross Car Park. Hopefully, the brief Resume will encourage others to look deeper into this moment of 'our' History. 

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic