BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bowling and Clyde boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacemutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 11:14pm
oo.Hang on..I need to register..
spacemutt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacemutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 11:17pm
arrr need to be authorised!
spacemutt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacemutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 9:15pm
I've just remember about an old chap that lived on one of the houseboats in Bowling. After the war, he made a living in the harbour out of removing all the big engines from the MTBs etc, and replacing them with smaller, more econimical diesel engines. So maybe some of the boats in those pictures were some of his customers. 
son of the rock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote son of the rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 1:42pm
Hi Spacemutt

I lived in Dumbarton during and after the war.  I can confirm that the River Leven boat yard was located on the right bank of the river opposite Denny's Yard.  There was certainly a lot of activity going on there at that time. However little boys could not get past the road block at the end of Woodyard Road.  To my eyes at that time I thought it was Air Sea Rescue Lauches that were being built but it no doubt was MTB's as suggested.  Certainly for some years after the war there were a large number of Air Sea Rescue Craft either at anchor on the River Leven at Sandpoint or on land in the boatyard.  These were there prior to disposal.  I understand the rest were at Calshot? We knew the boat yard as McAlisters Yard but from recent research I think that yard probably closed in the 1930's. I think the area you describe as being bulldozed after the war with the engines buried in it we knew as Posties Park. I don't know why there would be engines there but there were certainly soldiers stationed there guarding anti aircraft guns I think. 

As regards Bowling Basin passing on a rare trip back to Dumbarton I was disappointed to see that British Waterways had not cleared the basin completely.  There is the hull of something still beached inside the breakwater at the west end. It would have been visible in the centre of your picture on the Death of Zakana had it been low water.  
Son of the Rock
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 3:26pm
Hi there,

Just seen this latest post, fantastic, what a shame re the old MTB that got burst, now regards Vello 2......still going very much strong, berthed here at Chatham Maritime Marina in fact, owner a friend and worked with him on it here on the Medway last 8 years or so, if you search for Flussipioneer Korp there is a site for the German Rhine river patrol of the west german arm, who ran the vessel after it was hand over by the Americans....again many thanks for these posts,

Johnk
Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 3:49pm
For all of you wanting a boat ready to go at a very low price, have a look at Coquet on Boats for Sale.
Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
andyht57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyht57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 2:09pm
Re Voyager previously posted, yes she went to the Maritime Museum at Irvine but they Cut her up rather than let someone buy her, another ignominious end for a lady.
Andy T
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 1:06pm
Fantastic pictures.....dont suppose you can name the two MTB's that met their end up the River Leven in the Renton?.. I can remember one sunk but before was used as a houseboat and the other was burned and scrapped in the 80s...

Regards

Jim.

Baldwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2012 at 10:12pm
The hull lying next to the Calshot Salar in picture 3 is an Elco PT boat.

The Gay Class in pictures 6 and 8 is the Gay Archer.

Baldwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 8:16pm

In picture 9 the GSP stern showing belongs to the RN torpedo recovery boat Elf. The other GSP on the left is an ex RAF one called Sea Spray.

In addition. RTTL 2770 Osprey was very badly damaged at Dumbarton last year when lifting strops cut through her hull. There was talk of scrapping her. Anyone with up-to-date info?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic