BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > MASB32
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MASB32 today(June 2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:52pm

Ok then you knowledgeable lot, have a go at answering this one...

This strip of wood on the keel runs the full length of both sides, does anyone know what it is for or why it is there?

I have had two suggestions, it could be to hold on some sheathing or to stop the garboard plank leaking.

I had a thought this could perhaps be acting like a stepped hull but 'punching' the water creating an air cushion giving less water resistance- or am i thinking too much?

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:59pm

Hi Clive,

looks like a doubler piece, retro fitted possibly to protect the hood ends of the planking at the keel joint. I see the brass stem shoe has been replaced by a 'nip and tuck' variety.  What is the total of the transit damage? hopefully not too severe.

Regards

FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 5:09pm

Hi Donald,

the total cost of damage is not reconed yet as the transit is not yet over!

the latest is that the props have to come off before going onto the trailer, thing is if they are stubborn then they will be cut off! This should be happening tonight so we will see wether she arrives with or without!

Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 7:38am

Gentlemen,

Attended the transfere yesterday of 32 from one trailer to the next.

The second trailercertainly more suitable from a size point if view, but not the correct trailer for this boat. It is desigend tocary boats allready having their own support system. Howvere, needs must and it was done, not as I personally would have liked.

The props came off without too muc trouble, after a certain amount of persuasion. The stern gear would otherwise not have fitted between the trailer girders. The timbers supplied with the trailer are insufficient and certainly not friendly to the hull shape of 32. However as nothing else available, we did as best we could. The lifting gear was ok. The 21 foot beams were rigged one each onto 2 cranes. The cranes were placed  so as to lift best alongside the boat. The slings were mush better in that they were twice the width of the ships slings used originally. However , when the weight was taken the "soft"areas created in the 2 previous lifts, did not like it at all. The boat had to hang too long whilst we removed the original trailer, and positioned the new trailer, which will not have helped the hull at all. Placing the available timbers on the new trailer took too long as they were just not suitable, but with no other option, the boat was finally lowered onto the trailer. This type of hull, without it own support system, needs a trailer with a set of fully adjustable pad supports. This trailer we had to put timber where the trailer had place,on the 2 side members, which is not in the best interests of the hull. Once again no wedges or tools of any use were available. Anyway, she is now on her new trailer, and I will ask Pioneer if he would put some pics up for you. I do not know where or how she is coming off the trailer, but Clive please make sure you have a means of supporting her , which has 4 shaped supports to take her hull. The best lift off kit would be a pair of (2) steerable gantry (40t each capability) lifters used in most yards, so she can then be moved into the shed. I would suggest a straight lift off the trailer, ie position the boat trailer in line with her final resting place so she has no further corners etc to negotiate. This will give 4 lifting points, and I will mark the bulkhead positions today when I go to remove the tophamper. She has been subjected to 2 unnecessary lifts, using the same lifting points, and needs to have extra care taken with the final lift off. I will post further when the trimming work is finished today. The props, nuts and shims are with the low loader. I believe she will travel on Monday, so arrive your end Tuesday. More anon.

Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 10:14am

what a nightmare, im sure it will work out ok in the end.

Full praise again to pathfinder for the work in hand.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 11:16am

A close-up of some of the damage sustained during the lifts

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 11:34am

OUCH!

Three lifts, that is like punching a black eye twice more! obviously it is not ideal to keep lifting and setting down, but this is the situation we are in. bear in mind the affected area is still the affected area and as long as there are is not other damage incurred elcewhere the repair will not take any longer or be any harder.

Edited by clive
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 5:37pm

These two shots show that '32' is ready for the road (Monday?)

She does show off her lines well here (to my way of thinking).

My Fingers and all other digitals are firmly crossed!

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Pioneer Pioneer wrote:

These two shots show that '32' is ready for the road (Monday?)

She does show off her lines well here (to my way of thinking).

My Fingers and all other digitals are firmly crossed!

What a stunning boat, looks so good on that trailer, well done Clive and we all hope she arrives ok and the damage is not too extensive

Pathfinder View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Pathfinder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 7:17am

Thank you Pioneer for putting the pics up for me.

All the awning frame  work has been removed and is lashed on deck fore and aft of the cabin. The mast is in 2 pieces so that it fitted into the cabin. All the fenders as well as the anchor were lowered through the forward hatch. Anything loose on deck which could have fallen off during transit has been stowed under deck, so she is now ready to roll. Clive tells me she will be patched up and lifted from the trailer in to the water for floating a short distance to the yard slipway cradle, and then into the sheds. She is truly a lovely lady, and when I remember the state of the Trusts HSL142, and what we had to do to her at the end, it is for me personally a huge privilege to have been able to assist Clive in a small way with recovering 32. All the best Clive, and look forward to some exciting times ahead, for You and 32.

Pathfinder - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
  Share Topic