BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > MASB32
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MASB32 today(June 2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 11:46am

Hi Christian,

Following are two extracts from the article on page 139 of the June 1942 edition of The Motor Boat and Yachting. The accompanying photos clearly show S32 painted on the foredeck. (This edition of the mag. was on board Fervent when I bought her and was partly used as provenance when registering her at Lloyds). The article describes  a two hour trip on S32 in the vicinity of the Goodwins - close to the Ramsgate base.

These motor boats are now primarily employed by the Navy for rescuing airmen from the sea. They are of the now familiar 63 ft Scott-Paine type, manned by two sub-lieutenants R.N.V.R. and eight naval ratings. Nearly half the hull is occupied by three Napier engines; the crew sleep aboard and the officers ashore.......

With the three motors turning at 2,000 r.p.m. we made some 27 knots on a southerly course under the lee of the land ..........

The original three shafts and props were in Fervent when I bought her, connected to three Perkins S6Ms.

A quick phone call to Editorial enquiries at M B & Y on +44 20 7261 5333 will secure you a photocopy of page 139 or email them at: mby@ipcmedia.com for a copy. Ask for Sue.

I believe that only six out of eighty plus of these craft were fitted with two RR Merlins.

Visit: http://www.dynagen.co.za/eugene/whale.html for corroborating text.

My guess, after quite a bit of research, is that MASB 32's yard number would have been 1571. Am I right?

I believe that my son John has emailed you re Fervent's future. I'm sure we will be in touch.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter W
The Pom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 11:57am

Hi Christian,

Me again.... The drawings of 32 which your Dad had pinned up below decks clearly show the centre engine driving through a V Drive to the centre shaft. I only have a photo of that drawing which I took on my visit during November 2004. The photo was taken in poor light and is a bit "grainy" but I can still make out the centre engine tilted forward to a V Drive. The wing engines were direct drive.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter W
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 11:59am

Hi Peter

We have the MBY article, many thanks. As I mentioned, it is beyond doubt that 32 had three shafts. Whilst Eugene's homepage is very well put together and a valuable aid, I believe this information contained therein is flawed as I have it from more reliable sources that the 63ft boats built for the RN used Napier Sea Lions (not RR Merlins), whatever the number of them installed. The 64ft series 1 ASR shipped to South Africa did have Merlins (as did certain 63ft hulls in build for export sales), I believe she was called Malmok and this may be causing the confusion. I will ask Dad what her yard number is as I do not have that information. Very glad to have touched base with you and happy to try to help sort out her interesting history. 

B Rgds, Christian.

p.s. the rather misleading drawing pinned up was a later "long deckhouse" version, very similar to the RAF HSLs. 

p.p.s Yes, 1571.   

Edited by Christian
gibdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:44pm

MASB 32 this afternoon.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:57am

Wow, That didn't take long!

I spent a very enjoyable beer tasting weekend in Gib with a few (ship)mates, and on monday Hector took us out for a sunny cruise.

Well spotted Gibdan and thanyou for the photos.

regards  Clive..

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
gibdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 6:21pm

My pleasure Clive.

Daniel

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:34pm

Hi,

Very nice way to spend a sunny afternoon indeed, spent the weekend locking out boaters onto the Medway, not the same as Gib of course but weather very good. Despite working in the marina, don't actaully get out on the water much! ah well, I must make more of an effort especially on our working coastal craft, MTB 102 is in this neck of the woods in May so hope to see her then, 

John 

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 12:51pm
Christian, as I have indicated it appears to me that the "S" is the M.A.S.B. designation, they were then used for A.S.R. by the Navy, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that as Napier Sea Lions were mainly an R.A.F. engine that a conversion was done to change them to a more Navy used engine like Packard Merlins x2 which most navy Mech's would have been trained on in any case
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 2:44pm

Hi Tramontana

Philip has told me the following additional news;

Just read that the S Pennant was allocated to Coastal Motor boats - MA/SBs - MGBs - & SGBs

Never seen it carried though, but maybe it was just some local decision or the other reason I sent last week.

Regarding the engines, to my knowledge only the boats built for export were fitted with two Merlins (e.g. MGB 45) the boats ordered by the RN were fitted with two Napiers (as opposed to three for the RAF), except that MASB 32 certainly had three, here is a photo of the central shaft position when Dad bought her;

Two intriguing peculiarities at no extra cost.

Rgds, Christian.

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 2:58pm
My understanding is that Christian is correct in what he is saying.

Christian, please confirm whether that is a centre V-drive a it is hard to make out.

Many thanks
AndyS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic