BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAF Sterling class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 10:40am

Hi tonclass

Lax uniform requirements in Ghana apparently! What is she (and Hurricane) called now?

Rgds,Christian.

tonclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 10:46am

The full-sized photo shows her nameplate still as WELLINGTON.

No idea about HURRICANE

Rik

cofrada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cofrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 6:50pm

HMAFV Spitfire, on delivery to RAF Mountbatten. Photographed at Newhaven by me, I was, at the time, the Marine tech on Pinnace 1389.

Note the length of Spitfires bow compared to previous pictures on this thread. She had to go back to Brightlingsea to have a few feet added.

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 10:14am

Spitfire now priced at for £105,000

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
cofrada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cofrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 7:45am

We were returning to Invergordon, after dampening some aircrew at Burghead, as we came through the Cromarty Firth one of the crew noticed a small boat, about 18ft, the occupant frantically waving. He was adrift having lost his engine, we offered a tow, he accepted; we had travelled about 100yds, the occupant of the boat was leaping up and down again. At one engine slow ahead we had pulled the propshaft couplings and reduction gear off the back of his gearbox.

I believe this was the last "rescue" performed by Lancaster whilst flying the RAF Ensign

Edited by cofrada
Leon__xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon__xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 9:09am
Hiya there seems to be some confusion over the new roles of Wellington and Hurricane. On a number of websites they are listed as going to Ghana. This is incorrect. Myself and 3 guys delivered the vessels from Rosyth Dockyard to Guinea Bissau and not Ghana. Note I am the person on the left in the NEW LIFE photo along with Tony Byrne and the flag flying on the mast is the Guinea Bissau national flag. Our understanding wss that the vessels would be used for Fishery protection type duties.
The photo, although I do not specifically remember it being taken, must have been taken on the final transit into Guinea Bissau and probably by John on the Hurricane.
Note the extended range fuel tank on the back, we had to each take an additional 3 tons to syphon into the tanks on the route from Tenerife to Cape Verde.
Hopefully this clarifies some incorrect information.
Happy to answer any questions etc any of you may have.
capt jim martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt jim martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 4:39pm
Hi there - recently joined. Have not long ago posted a query re "Petard" elsewhere on this site, regarding finding photos of her. I usezd to do delivery work for Babcocks Disposals and took "Petard" to Portland from Pembroke Dock in May 2002. At one time there was talk of me taking her to Maryport - perhaps that was for you as new owner? Had a pretty hairy delivery voyage and would be the first to admit after a career in MN in larger vessels I was scared sh*tless by her performance in mod/heavy following seas!

Capt Jim Martin
2vlu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2vlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 1:04pm
hello all  re  barry s   question   boat  in eastbourne  some years  ago , well   its  was the ASC RTTL   Hampden  call  sign  2VLU , as  i brought  it   from MOD   "babcocks"   in scotland then  brought  her  to  eastbourne  habour  non stop run  used 8 tonne  of fuel   but  performed   well   in rough   seas  then i used  it  as  a  training   vessel  but before  that   i had viewed  lanchaster   hurricane  petard  spitfire  and there big bothers   seal  and  seagull, but i felt  only  fault  was the  paxman engines in my  oppinion  re  petard   was  told   she  was a  army  boat  hence  named   after  birds  and  could  be  controled  from  fly bridge and the  RAF  propeller  class  eg  spitfire  / hampden  ect   could  not  as there was  a  accident  so had  all  there  fly bridge contols    removed    
rick c
sinbad59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinbad59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 9:00pm
Hi Matt I nearly bought this in 2004, until they gave me fuel consumption figures, went down looked over those amazing engines, then worked out how much it would cost to get it to the Mantawi islands where we was going to charter it, 
Deep pockets needed Tongue
Doug
sinbad59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinbad59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 9:10pm
Babcock guys told me it had been run from Barry south wales to Portland and had it wide open where they had chomped through 7 tons 
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic