BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dark Biter 1/24th scale model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Biter 1/24th scale model
    Posted: 04 March 2012 at 12:04pm
Hi, this is my first post on the site. My main interest is model boats especially MTBs and ASR's.

I am currently making Nautical Marine Models version of Dark Biter. I am trying to get information on two specific aspects of the the boat. First is the shape and position of the exhausts. I know they are on the sides hence the reason for the early paint job but I can find no close up pictures of them. They are not depicted on the model at all.

Second is the access to the cockpit. In the model there are ladder/steps at the rear of the superstructure between the side and the radar mast. However they lead to nothing. Does anybody know if there was a door or other access to the cockpit area.It would seem strange if the only way of getting from the cockpit to the deck was internal particularily as it would make the floor space in the cockpit limited. All the pictures of any of the Dark Class boats seem to be side on or from the forward quarter. I cannot seem to find any that show the rear of the superstructure?

Any help, pictures or diagrams would be appreciated.

Jeremy

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 8:19am
There is quite an extensive thread on the Dark class on the Veterans Forum Here (2pages), with this particular model being reviewed HERE

Edited by Pioneer - 05 March 2012 at 8:22am
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 11:31am
Thanks for that. Ive seen both but stangely they do not cover the points I'm trying to check. The exhausts in the picture were specific to that boat and not to P1104. Never mind I will keep looking
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 11:46am
Although there are several images of the unique 'all welded Alloy' HMS Dark Scout, on page two of that first link there are a few images of a 'standard' Dark built for the Swedish navy plus some views of the lone Japanese 'Dark' PT9. These images show the positions of the exhausts both Port and St'bd.
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:07pm
Ill have a closer look, many thanks
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:21pm
Found the exhausts now I only need access to the cockpit!!!!
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:49pm
On this web site there is a brief glimpse of the Bridge sroll down
 While this is a view of the Bridge of a model 'Gay' class - not too disimilar layout.

Edited by Pioneer - 05 March 2012 at 12:56pm
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 6:00pm
Thanks for that. I actually found a slightly obscured shot of the Access Door on the Dark Class thread+ Nautical Marine Models also confirmed its existence. Not sure if Ill put it in but will certainly add the exhausts.
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 11:55am
Dear Administrator my apologies but I just realised that there is a modelling section on the website where I should have posted thisEmbarrassed. Please move if you feel its appropriate? I have another question. What flags would have been flown on a dark Class when on day to day patrol and where would they be flown from?
peter m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:43pm
re access to the cockpit. it is on the starboard. there is a photo on David Mills website.
 www.dave-mills.yolasite.com/saro-dark-class-mtbs.php
I have just started to build NMModels kit but will do it as Dark Aggressor.

Edited by Pioneer - 21 August 2012 at 8:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic