BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Gun Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MGB85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MGB85
    Posted: 10 December 2005 at 2:37pm

Hi

I am trying to trace the history of my fathers old boat, MGB 85 which I beleive was one of 12 Elco boats from the USA and formed part of the 7th flotilla based at Lowestoft (HMS Mantis)

Any info greatly appreciated

alross2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:26pm

Basically, MGB85 was the former PTC4, a 70' ELCO PTC.  She and PTC1-12 were transferred to the RN in early 1941 and became motor gunboats.  She was paid off on July 7, 1945 and laid up at Gillingham until the end of 1947.  After that, I don't know what happened to her. 

If you can find a copy of John Lambert's and my Allied Coastal Forces of WWII, vol. 2, you'll see a number of drawings and photos of the type.  It also contains a bibliography for further reading. 

Feed free to contact me directly at alross2@aol.com and I'll email you some photos and drawings that might be of interest.

Al Ross II
alross2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 2:15am

Here are a couple profiles of the 70' ELCO in RN service.

Al Ross II
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 11:56am
Saw your question from before I joined. I'm Peter, trying to track MGB 84. I have some photos which are said to be MGBs 84, 85 and 86. You can contact me on moahine@pocketmail.com.au if you like.
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2006 at 2:46pm
Hello Al
Are you getting anywhere with the next volume of the book on the BPBCo boats?
Thanks
AndyS
angriff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 7:33pm
I had the same question about the BPB book, Al Ross.. I had some emails discussions from John Lambert a while back and he was saying that finishing touches was all that was needed.  My basic question on that book would it include the BPB French Variant and other vessels such as the CAMPER AND NICHOLSON MGBs 502 - 509?
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:55am
Joeblob,
        Im away from home at the moment, but got a message that someone was querying MGB 85 in Febuary 07. I can"t see if it was other than you but from memory i sent you all I had. Through Al Ross i did get the whole story of MGB 84. There seems no doubt that the ends of 84, 85 and 86 were similar and i did resolve 84 and 86, with 85 being conspicuous by her absence. I am anxious to help in any way I can as i know the frustration and relief of getting to the bottom of the histories. Let me know if I can help further.
Peter
Joeblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 1:26pm

Peter

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately I seem to have come up against a wall regarding MGB85, I had a lot of useful inforormation from Al Ross.  Other people on the forum helped  in tracing my fathers other boat MTB458 but no luck with the MGB.

John 

Stormvogel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 9:56am
Hi,

Between 11th February 1942 & 2nd March 1942 MGB 85 was at HMS St Christopher, Fort William in Scotland. My Grandfather was training on her as Chief Motor Mechanic. Hope this fills a gap.

All the best,

Stormvogel 
bruce bb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 5:39pm
Hi.I have some information about MGB85.My father purchased this boat in 1956 intending to convert it to a houseboat for us to live in. This never happened.He wrote to the admiralty and received what history they had which I still have. The vessel had some damage to the bow but the number 85 was still visible. I have some photos. I also have some switches taken from the wheelhouse with elco engraved on them.My father owned 85 until about 1964 and sold her to someone in Essex.They finished fitting the engine my father had put in her [an ex landing craft engine] and took her away down the river medway under her own power.
I also have some information about MGB84 as well if anyone is interested.
Hope this is of interest to you.Please let me know if you would like any pictures or maybe the elco switches from your fathers boat. Regards Bruce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic