BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Gun Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MGB85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 7:39pm
Hi Bruce,

Very interesting, off down the Medway caught my eye as ever, work at what is now Chatham Marina in the former naval dockyard, a landing craft engine indeed, some pictures on the site or link would be great to see if possible,

Johnk
Joeblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:13am
Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info, any photos would be greatly appreciated so I can show my father ,who by the way will be 87 in May.

Cheers John. (Joeblob)
Joeblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:54am
Hi Bruce
                  Thanks for the info, any photos and/or history of 85 would be greatly appreciated as I can show my father, who will be 87 in May and remembers his boats like yesterday.
                                   Cheers
                                                  John
bruce bb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:49pm
Hi John.Glad you got my message.I will get as much as I can to you.Please be patient,I am not to good on the computer.Most of photos are on slides so I will get these printed.I have a letter from the admiralty describing an encounter with MGB85/86 and91 with e boats on 3rd/4th dec 1943 that I will get to you also.My phone number if you would like to get in touch is 01634849868.Regards Bruce.
bruce bb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:28pm
I will do my best to post as much as possible with my very limited computer skills.MGB85 was moored at strood yacht club when my father owned her and I now moor my own boat there,second generation!The landing craft engine was a HUDSON INVADER. A bit smaller than her original engines.Regards Bruce.
PS. The dockyard has changed a bit hasnt it!
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:56pm
Hi Bruce,

Many thanks, know off but not a lot about Strood yacht club, yes the dock has changed! I remember it from before closure, joined Medway Sea Cadets in Pembroke barracks, moved to the apprentice school on closure, now of course a university, understand re pics, as and when you can, many people here also very interested for sure, all the best,

Johnk
Joeblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 8:51am
Hi Bruce
              Once again thank you, I will look forward to any info you manage to send, modern technology can bite back! I also researched my fathers MTB and managed to get some photcopies of her logbok for VE day from the Royal Navy Historical Branch, most helpful people.
                    Regards
                                    John
pjmileham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjmileham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 11:45am
Hi Bruce
I came across your post when researching my Uncle, Paddy Wotton, who served aboard MGB84 during the war. Any information would be welcome!
I have a few photos if you're interested.
Thanks.
Paul Mileham
bruce bb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 9:26am
Hi Paul.I can tell you a little about MGB84.When I was a boy and my father owned MGB85 we would go to Gravesend to look at the boats in the basin there. In the basin was MGB84.My father told me she was used as a test boat by international paints to test new marine paints. That explained her odd paint sceme. Years later I was working in the area and went to the basin in my lunch break and found her moved and someone working on her. I told him about my fathers boat and he said he had got 84 and was going to hire her out to film companies. Sometime later I read in our local paper she had moved to Hoo marina on the river medway and had tragicly caught fire and burnt out. One person lost their life. This is all I can tell you about MGB84. A sad end to a fine vessel.Regards Bruce.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 8:40am

Hi there,

Yes, think post on the fire on this vessel before, recall from local papers it was a mother and children who were sadly lost, thought? she was an American PT vessel, recall from the press coverage the owner had been in contact with the American embassy regarding plans, and comment from the embassy on the loss....

Johnk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic