BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Scimitar Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scimitar Class found Dec 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2006 at 11:09pm

Gents,

I would hazard a guess that she is, in fact, SABRE. After RN service she was refitted and re-named EL CONDOR. I have photo's of her from the 1980's in exactly the same format as she appears today (although the livery is very tired looking as, I think, the deal fell through)

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 8:24am

Hi Tonclass

Great pics, see Boats For Sale on the Main Page, this one appears at the bottom of the list and is indeed identified as ex HMS Sabre.

Rgds,Christian. 

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 4:35pm
anddavdad & pioneer, any thought's on the hull at Limassol Cyprus, do you think she is a Scimitar type, she still had the platform attached to the transom where the turbine exhaust flap's dropped onto, the platform is curved underneath. the G.T. exhaust's are blanked off now. 
tonclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 7:10pm

Just found this website (in Italian unfortunately) but it explains what happened to SCIMITAR after she left the RN right up until very recently.

http://www.sambenedettoggi.it/2006/06/24/scimitar-la-nave-mi litare-che-diventa-ristorante-galleggiante/

and another in English

http://www.scimitar.it/english/nave_da_guerra.htm

Edited by tonclass
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 8:49pm

Hi there,

Well...very interested to read the web-site for Scmitar in English. What can I say? I guess at least they do a very nice job on the site of acknowledging her history, which they do not have to of course, but...shall we say a bit of a change on top! I know, we should be gratefull she still exists in some form and is not completely gone, many of our historic vessels exist as we know as house boats, and resturants before ie MASB 32 which is restored and looking good. And of course, Ambra is much changed on top for her role as a tour boat, which of course kept her going till now, as with the western ladies. Anway, I guess we can't have everything in origional condition and a example of every class, we did after all produce so many, as a maritime nation? must watch it, don't want to get political!

John

tonclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 10:09pm
Only too happy to see her being put to good use, rather than at some scrapyard.
tonclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 7:05pm

Just been sent a couple of pix of her, by Marco Pezzolesi – Amministratore Unico Scimitar Srl.

If anyone wants a copy (for personal use only) send me an email.

Rik

Edited by tonclass
tonclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 1:27pm

This was photographed in Arnis/Germany 0n 7 October 07. Is she the old Sabre (El Condor) ?

Edited by tonclass
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 7:37pm
Tamoko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:22pm
Scimitar is now a sea food restaurant in Italy, http://www.scimitar.it Cutlass was last seen in Italy waiting work but looking really rough, I’m trying to identify the location of her.

Edited by Pioneer - 14 February 2018 at 7:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic