BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > E Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DELTIC E BOAT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rttlfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DELTIC E BOAT
    Posted: 25 February 2013 at 4:49pm
This is very rare newsreel, shot in 1953, by Pathe which features an E Boat (possibly S130) powered by Napier Deltic engines.

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/%22motor+boat+patrol%22

Edited by Pioneer - 07 March 2013 at 11:25am
rttlfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rttlfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 5:36pm
This E boat is mentioned in the book 'Napier Powered' compiled by Alan Vessey. There is also a photograph of the boat and below it there is the following information:

"The initial sea trial of a pair of 2,500 shp 18 cylinder Deltics was secretly carried out in 1952, installed under a stern shelter in the engine room of a captured German E boat, while replacing two of it's large Mercedes-Benz MB 511 diesels of the same power. It is seen carrying Royal Navy Fast Patrol Boat (FPB) No. 5212."

In the Pathe video the boat is also carrying the number P5212. It would be interesting to identify the other boats shown in the clip.
OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 8:22pm

Good videos! (I have been watching the other ones you posted too).

I'm pretty sure the other 2 vessels are Gay Class boats (the era is right for them). Which ones though I can't say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic