BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Seaplane Tenders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ST on ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ST on ebay
    Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:55am
Phil Simons reckons this to be a 35ft FMB which was known to be in that area.
burgundyben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:13am
I tend to agree, the hull shape and construction differ significantly from both of the BPBCo boat I own/owned.
Napier Lion engine wanted.
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 9:09pm
Hi OC

Yes there is much room for doubt, other reasons include the slab sides and curved superstructure cut out. 
There is no doubt she has been heavily rebuilt, note the planking asymmetry at the stem. That could account for the missing stringers and lost shape.
My opinion is that she is a 1930's BPB "Sea-Ace" express cruiser, which had a single Chrysler engine (later in 1932 a Meadows with vee drive) they measured 35ft x 8.5ft with a superstructure design that followed the deck edge rather than the parallel sided ST and Sea Monarch cabins. 
Still not sure though.

Edited by Christian - 14 January 2014 at 9:16pm
OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 6:23pm
I'm not sure about it being a ST, a few reasons...

- British Powerboats are usually constructed with stringers cut into the frames.
- The bow shape doesn't have the right curve.
- The bumping strake along the side of the hull doesn't seem to fit in with BPB.

I could be way off the mark here though...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 3:13pm
Not as far as I know, I'll be in that boat yard mid Feb looking at something else, I'll check.

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 1:51pm
Ah good, a volunteer LOL 

Did anyone take on the other abandoned ST you mentioned in December? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 1:44pm
Kind of him to offer £1000 to someone to take it away. Joking aside, it might be a good starting point for someone wanting to take on such a project.

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 11:49am

Hi Steve

Yes I'm going through my info from LROYs to find an early BPB ST converted to single motor, I have found;

FLYING GOOSE built 1936

type ST O/No 182514

builder BPB  Dims given as  38X8.4FT  Motor(s) one  PERKINS 1948.             LROY49 55.

Owner FA JENSEN  at POOLE notes; EX RAF ST.

In your opinion is that what she is? You would be the man to know. Note also she also seems to have been shortened by 1.5ft and gained 0.5ft across the beam (I know that feeling).

Has Baracuda had any further work done by the Flying Boat trust?

Regards, Christian.

Edited by Christian - 14 January 2014 at 12:15pm
ASR1255 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASR1255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 11:38am
Hi Christian
Did you notice only one prop shaft log and only one rudder hole
Also looks like just one set of engine bearers
You will know anyway just for those that didn't notice
Best regards
Steve
SAVE EM ALL
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 9:30am
Possibly an early BPB 200-series;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-A-F-Fast-Motor-Boat-for-sale-open-to-offers-/201006915735

I asked for more info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic