BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Gun Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freelance MGB 45 S3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 1:51pm
Sorry, I thought I read in a post about MTB 245 that you were Richard (who I know) - but perhaps you just copied a message from him!
Tim Deacon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Deacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 2:18pm
Hi Steve

Re-Freelance/S-3.....yes she must be in a sorry state at present. Just before she was towed away, I took some photos in the E/Room and down below....the two Volvos were two huge balls of rust with the cylinder heads missing, but the two Vee drives were still there. All the portholes had been removed (and subsequently sold), together with the windlass (not original) and steering wheel gear, though as far as I could tell the links/shafts to the steering gearbox in the stern was still there. It's a real shame as I do believe she was salvageable/restorable, but no one was willing to lift her out in case she broke up on the slings. The Medway Port Authority were not keen to get her moved to Chatham in case she sank underway and caused a sunken wreck in the main Channel of the river. I have tried to upload a photo of the wreck but it is too big a file for this site. If you send me a contact email address I'll send it to you. Tim Deacon
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 2:34pm
Have sent you a PM Tim
Regards Ted
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2016 at 1:06pm
Tim's image

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
ASR1255 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASR1255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2016 at 5:27pm
Hi pioneer if you could send me an email on pm i some more photos of her in this position as she lays just out side my mates barge yard where i keep asr1255 i havent had time to get out to her to see whats left im hoping to get the chance soon to look for stuff for the childs and 219
SAVE EM ALL
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:45pm
Hi there,

Just picked up on this and see the very sad photo...aware as before, owner was wanting to sell of bits/hull etc...recall visiting when a houseboat few years ago, owner having plans for a C/F craft that was for the far east but was never needed...yes, hope Steve something left that might be re-cycled for 219...if you have contact with the Childs, send my best if you wish....lets be a bit cheery, with the Childs, Rob Morley and CMB9 and MTB102, HSL 102, Medusa...we still have great examples and testaments to the men and women of CF...all the best.

Johnk
Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 8:37am
Thank you for the updates everyone. It doesn't look like this is one I can include on my survivors list... Shame.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 8:39am
Hi there,

Yes, unfortunately no longer really a "survivor"...I looked up the MASB 27 ex the Childs fleet on Facebook, D-day revisited page...now being put as you posted, under cover till spring...Steve?(ASR1255)! if you have contact with the Childs...do remember me to them! although, as ever, I am but an armchair supporter, unlike yourself actually trying to support them, ie with help when around there and the parts! ......any how, all the best,

Johnk
Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:34am
I don't have any contact with the Childs unfortunately (I don't know them). I would certainly try to support them if I could, but an email I sent to the address on their page has not been answered yet.
Regards,
Steve
Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:46am
PS. ASR1255 is a different Steve!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic