BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 506

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTB 506
    Posted: 14 February 2007 at 4:18pm

OK guys things have progressed.

Happy to say that subject to the paperwork being completed The Old War Boat Company Ltd, which was formed only today following the meeting refered to elsewhere on this forum, has aquired 506 for preservation.

There is obviously a lot of work to do to get her back to the UK and restored. One of the group or more will be going to Malta shortly to sort out stablisation of the boat and what is required in the short term.

Obviously what we need immediatly is gearboxes and money not particularly in that order. Please send all donations to The Old War Boat Company Ltd c/o D C M Money Solutions 3 Hope Drive The Park Nottingham. NG7 1DL

Further posts when there is anything to report. Please don't take this post as anything more than brief information just so you know the boat won't be lost.

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 4:50pm

Hi Sentley

Best of British to you all! Let us all know which reduction boxes are required as soon as you know (perhaps C Morgan can provide this info) so that the rest of us can keep our eyes peeled. I think Ambra is an excellent choice, Dad and I are relieved she will be saved.

On a different note, the MASB is sold and will also return to the UK sometime this year. I am unable to disclose the buyer's name at this stage.

Should have quite a fleet there soon!

Rgds,

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 5:14pm

Hi Sentley and Christian,

Just read the above, well done on both fronts, my "offer" of support remains to the new company if wanted, would love to see the MASB in the flesh so to speak, understand the buyer dose not want to be published, but would love to see her over here. Well, there it is, best of luck to all, looking forward to developements in the coming year.

John 

jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 6:56pm

The gearboxes were borg warner if anyone has three going spare. Sorry dont know ratio. Should be set up for efficient cruising as its a long way & a lot of diesel. anyone know best ratio for this?

If a joint scrounge for these, tools needed to fix her up, navigation & safety equipment could be palleted up & sent out great stuff. should b fun loading gearboxes from a rib onto Ambra in mid stream

Will need some work on hull but told it was Raia that needed total refastening. Dont take that as gospel until she's been inspected.

Congrats to 32's new owner. Guessing they'll be overrun with offers to crew her for the trip home. Bet you'll miss her Christian? Due credit to you & Hector for keeping her in fine shape.

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 7:08pm

Congratulations guys.

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 8:08pm

Wonderful News,

I was seriously concerned that we would lose yet another of the dwindling number of survivors. I won't be understating it when I say that I was heart broken to hear about Raia.

The best of British to you, keep everbody posted and I for one will help where I can (however limited that may be).

On another note it is brilliant news to her of 32's impending repatriation, well done to Christian and Hector.

Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 8:51pm

Hi All

Thanks for the kind words, Hector dedicated very much of his time to 32 and appreciates the sentiment. The boat will be missed a great deal by us all, she is a real survivor that one. 

Regarding the boxes for Ambra, the reduction (be they BW or PRM or whatever) will depend largely on what props she currently has (i.e. pitch and diameter, assume 3-bladed & handed). We can pretty much guess the other information needed to calculate the reduction (knowing the model of the engines would be handy, or at least max rpm). We have a neat little computer which will give us the desired reduction for optimum overall performance, i.e. allowing the engines to just achieve their max rpm at light load conditions (anything else will overload them). 

Rgds, 

S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 9:50pm

Good Evening.

Thanks to you all for your knd wishes and offers of help. Please don't wait to be asked, to much help is better than not enough. Right now the priority is to build up a cash fund to get her fit to bring back to the UK. We take cash cheques IOUs and credit/debit cards.

Seriously though real thanks for the good wishes and I repeat them to Christian and his Dad and the lucky buyers of 32. Christian we will take you up on the use of your computer program in due course.

Just think guys if we could get 102 32 and 506 on the same piece of water at the same time, I think I would cry!!!

Regards

Edited by S R Wilson
SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 11:11pm

CONGRATULATIONS   to the Old warboat company.

If you could confirm that the gearboxes are borg warner and let me know the reductions(if any) then I will have a look, I could lend a couple until the summer or donate depending on what I have got, I doubt I will have three of any but should have at least one of one sort (if that makes sense) How many engines will you need for the trip (1,2 or 3) I assume that you have backplates?

Regarding the news of 32, this is especially good for me as Hector has agreed that I should be her next custodian.she will be returning to uk in the summer and will reside in Norfolk for the foreseeable future, as with d-zine I will be keen to let people know what will be going on but I doubt that there will be much news until autumn time.

This is also a good time to express my  sincere thanks to Christian and especially Hector for their hospitallity, congratulate Christian on such a superb home built model collection, and Hector for showing me his impressive collection of photos/literature on coastal craft.(and cars!)

The Plan is to have her skippered home, I will not do this myself as she will be returning by sea (not canal) and I have not got a clue how to navigate!(yet) I have a couple of contacts which I will pass on to the old warboat co if they do not DIY!

Excellent news for us all,

Rergards,  Clive..

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 1:17am

Engines are 2x 180hp ford 6cyl & 1 perkins 6534 if it helps work out boxes. Assuming theres backplates as regularly started & starter gotta go somewhere.

Somebody buy the other Gibraltar boats & we can bring home a flottilla . What a sight that'd be.

Congrats Clive! What a beauty. Still trying to sort myself to look at 56

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
  Share Topic